Cannot undo speed restriction - HELP!

fededamiano

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 25, 2023
Hello -

My ebike has an s830 LCD display and is speed limited to 33.8 kmh (regardless of including a higher value in the P08 setting).

The controller is as per the pic attached.

I have opened the controller and there does not seem to be any cable looping back to the controller (ie. speed limit cable) however it is hard to see as the cables are bundled into group connectors (rather than other DIYs I ve seen where each set of cables are separate).

Any hints on how I may be able to overcome the speed restriction?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
20mph is more then fast enough, also it is likely your hub isn't wound for a faster speeed.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You need to find out whether the controller is restricting the speed or whether your motor is maxed out before you do anything:

Charge the battery to full, lift the motor wheel off the ground and spin it to maximum. Note the speed. Run the battery down to near empty and repeat. If there's a difference in the speeds, your motor is limiting. If the speeds are the same. it's your controller.

If it's the motor, ypu need more volts. If it's the controller, you crack it or get a new better unrestricted one.

fededamiano

Oct 25, 2023
You need to find out whether the controller is restricting the speed or whether your motor is maxed out before you do anything:

Charge the battery to full, lift the motor wheel off the ground and spin it to maximum. Note the speed. Run the battery down to near empty and repeat. If there's a difference in the speeds, your motor is limiting. If the speeds are the same. it's your controller.

If it's the motor, ypu need more volts. If it's the controller, you crack it or get a new better unrestricted one.

Thanks - this is helpful. I will do this test and have a look.

By controller, is it just the LCD display or the actual controller box? If the latter, was hoping it could be reprogrammed or reseted somehow.

fededamiano

Oct 25, 2023
20mph is more then fast enough, also it is likely your hub isn't wound for a faster speeed.
Thanks.

Im keen to see what the actual limit is. Not looking for a lot more than 20 mph, just a bit more.

By 'wound' you mean restricted or not capable (apologies, english is not my first language)? From riding similar ebikes I reckon it should give a bit more on flats.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
The physical makeup of the motor as in the number of motor windings, determines the maximum speed.

As @saneagle says, you need to work out which of the two factors is limiting you top speed: is it the number of motor windings or the controller?

By controller, this is the box of electronics that is connected between the battery and motor, NOT the handle bar display.

fededamiano

Oct 25, 2023
thank you all.

I did some tests and also asked the shop I intend to take the ebike for service (who has experience with this bike).

the limiting factor is the motor windinds.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Is it legal or illegal to change the speed where you are

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
thank you all.

I did some tests and also asked the shop I intend to take the ebike for service (who has experience with this bike).

the limiting factor is the motor windinds.
I wouldn't believe them. The test takes a couple of minutes and costs nothing, then you know the truth. All ebikes can be derestricted. First, you have to be sure about how it's restricted, then you can decide on the appropriate method.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

fededamiano

Oct 25, 2023
I wouldn't believe them. The test takes a couple of minutes and costs nothing, then you know the truth. All ebikes can be derestricted. First, you have to be sure about how it's restricted, then you can decide on the appropriate method.
thanks - i am waitig for the battery to come closer to zero and will test and report outcome.

Another user advised that i test the top speed with the wheel off the ground and the with the bike loaded. he mentioend that if the speed is the same then the controller is the limiting factor, if not then the system or motor would be. I did this test and the top speed is ~2 kmh less when loaded.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
thanks - i am waitig for the battery to come closer to zero and will test and report outcome.

Another user advised that i test the top speed with the wheel off the ground and the with the bike loaded. he mentioend that if the speed is the same then the controller is the limiting factor, if not then the system or motor would be. I did this test and the top speed is ~2 kmh less when loaded.
You don't do the test when loaded : Once when the battery is full, once when it's nearly empty, and both with the wheel off the ground.

fededamiano

Oct 25, 2023
You don't do the test when loaded : Once when the battery is full, once when it's nearly empty, and both with the wheel off the ground.
I did the test. Max speed is lower with battery at ~25% (and voltage meter shows a decrease in ~5 volts).

Reckon restricting factor is battery and motor windings (and if change battery voltage also need to change controller).

Doing major upgrades to the bike gets into the very hard / costly basket so will enjoy my ~30 kmh max speed :)

Thank you all for advice and help

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I did the test. Max speed is lower with battery at ~25% (and voltage meter shows a decrease in ~5 volts).

Reckon restricting factor is battery and motor windings (and if change battery voltage also need to change controller).

Doing major upgrades to the bike gets into the very hard / costly basket so will enjoy my ~30 kmh max speed :)

Thank you all for advice and help
It's best to do that sort of thing when your battery comes to the end of its life and needs to be replaced, then you only get the additional cost of the controller.

Some people had some success with a booster battery. A36v battery has ten cells. Each additional cell increases the max speed by 10%, and most 36v controllers can manage 12 cells without modification, so you make or buy a 2S4P battery, which would be about £24, and put it in series with the one you have to get a 20% increase in speed and power.

The downside to the booster battery is that you need to monitor the charge state of both batteries because the cut-off on the controller will no longer operate for the new arrangement and the control panel will show full all the time. That's no problem if you only make journeys much shorter that the range of both batteries, but you still get the inconvenience of having to charge and check two batteries.

Advertisers