Car - Roof rack storage?

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
Hi,

I'm pretty decided on the bike I want, assume it's good for my needs come February, and it should hopefully fit in my car boot, given it folds

Let's say in the future, I become more confident, and also get a CBT licence. Let's say I buy a speed pedelec to get me say from Headingley to Manchester and back, again with the same constraints of "I have a car, but nowhere to store a bike safely"

Would it be possible to store this on top of your car, however in an enclosed system? In order to protect your bike from the elements, and for easy access to it? Or perhaps it'd just be too heavy from the top of the car whilst being quite a bit easier to take out from the boot. I've not seen a single speed pedelec that is foldable. Or what I'm asking about doesn't exist at all. Perhaps a bike that can't be folded simply can't fit "flat down" on a car roof?

Last edited:

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi,

I'm pretty decided on the bike I want, assume it's good for my needs come February, and it should hopefully fit in my car boot, given it folds

Let's say in the future, I become more confident, and also get a CBT licence. Let's say I buy a speed pedelec to get me say from Headingley to Manchester and back, again with the same constraints of "I have a car, but nowhere to store a bike safely"

Would it be possible to store this on top of your car, however in an enclosed system? In order to protect your bike from the elements, and for easy access to it? Or perhaps it'd just be too heavy from the top of the car whilst being quite a bit easier to take out from the boot. I've not seen a single speed pedelec that is foldable. Or what I'm asking about doesn't exist at all. Perhaps a bike that can't be folded simply can't fit "flat down" on a car roof?
If you are tall and well muscled, you might get that to work. I went on one holiday with two bikes on a proper bike rack, on the roof, and I have never used them since.....
Some people have a bike rack on the rear door (assuming your car has one), or on a trailer hitch, assuming your bike has one. To my mind, both appear better than the roof!
Most bikes, you can easily pop off the front wheel and maybe remove the battery, and get it into a medium sized or larger car....depending upon number of passengers of course...
regards
Andy

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
If you are tall and well muscled, you might get that to work. I went on one holiday with two bikes on a proper bike rack, on the roof, and I have never used them since.....
Some people have a bike rack on the rear door (assuming your car has one), or on a trailer hitch, assuming your bike has one. To my mind, both appear better than the roof!
Most bikes, you can easily pop off the front wheel and maybe remove the battery, and get it into a medium sized or larger car....depending upon number of passengers of course...
regards
Andy
A trailer hatch? I'm guessing your bike rack wasn't a fully enclosed system? I haven't seen those. By that, I mean something like this

But instead for a bike.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
A trailer hatch? I'm guessing your bike rack wasn't a fully enclosed system? I haven't seen those. By that, I mean something like this

But instead for a bike.
I have myself never seen a fully closed system, discounting a panel van of course! Probably someone makes them, I was never interested.....Bike are easy to clean....
Andy

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
I have myself never seen a fully closed system, discounting a panel van of course! Probably someone makes them, I was never interested.....Bike are easy to clean....
Andy
Sure. I'm more worried about them being left to the elements

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Sure. I'm more worried about them being left to the elements
I store my bike in the yard with a weighted, heavy motorbike cover, but on a car, it might whip itself to death within a very short journey.
If there is something available to purchase, someone here will know about it....wait a bit!
Best of luck
Andy

Reactions: anonymous

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I wouldn't advise putting a cover on a bike on a car rack. The wind resistance would probably rip it of.

Before my tow-ball rack, I tried one of those clip/strap-on racks on the back of my car for a 200 mile journey. I normally got 55 mpg, but with the bare bike on the rack, I couldn't get over 40 mpg, so it cost me nearly £10 extra for that journey. I did the return leg with the bike and the dismantled rack inside the car.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Why did you take your bike on a 200mile journey then bring it back all in/on your car, did you take it on holiday with you ? I bet you went to Cornwall I like Cornwall, slept in a haunted house there.

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
I store my bike in the yard with a weighted, heavy motorbike cover, but on a car, it might whip itself to death within a very short journey.
If there is something available to purchase, someone here will know about it....wait a bit!
Best of luck
Andy
What cover would you recommend?

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
What cover would you recommend?
I just buy what is cheap really, on ebay, but I did find that the normal pushbike covers far too thin and mostly vulnerable to sunlight (UV). They start to get good from around 30 UK Pounds upwards...
You might be fooled (like I was the first time), that its always a given to be UV proof! Its not.
So I always make sure that what I buy is not in any way vulnerable to UV, but you do have to read the ebay ads (where I buy) VERY carefully, as many are not truly proof against UV, but are written to give you the impression they are!!
If it is not unequivocally and correctly stated to be proof against UV, then I send a question, via the ebay mail system so that my question and the answer is recorded for future usage if needed.
A further reason for a Motorbike cover, is that it is usually thicker, stronger and heavier waterproof material, plus higher and longer and therefore can be wrapped around the bike, and less likely to be blown off, or ripped!!
I am sorry that is probably not all that helpful in the detail....but I am sure that you get the general idea....
If I can help further, just ask!
regards
Andy
PS. once you have it, you may find that adding a few extra clothing Poppers (is that the right name?), heavy duty ones, may make it even better for a small amount of money from ebay.

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
I just buy what is cheap really, on ebay, but I did find that the normal pushbike covers far too thin and mostly vulnerable to sunlight (UV). They start to get good from around 30 UK Pounds upwards...
You might be fooled (like I was the first time), that its always a given to be UV proof! Its not.
So I always make sure that what I buy is not in any way vulnerable to UV, but you do have to read the ebay ads (where I buy) VERY carefully, as many are not truly proof against UV, but are written to give you the impression they are!!
If it is not unequivocally and correctly stated to be proof against UV, then I send a question, via the ebay mail system so that my question and the answer is recorded for future usage if needed.
A further reason for a Motorbike cover, is that it is usually thicker, stronger and heavier waterproof material, plus higher and longer and therefore can be wrapped around the bike, and less likely to be blown off, or ripped!!
I am sorry that is probably not all that helpful in the detail....but I am sure that you get the general idea....
If I can help further, just ask!
regards
Andy
PS. once you have it, you may find that adding a few extra clothing Poppers (is that the right name?), heavy duty ones, may make it even better for a small amount of money from ebay.
Actually that's pretty helpful. Whilst you haven't recommended me an exact product, you've explained your rationale behind why you bought what you did, and what sorta thing to buy too. How do you weigh it down? With a brick?

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Actually that's pretty helpful. Whilst you haven't recommended me an exact product, you've explained your rationale behind why you bought what you did, and what sorta thing to buy too. How do you weigh it down? With a brick?
Bricks are good, so is chaining the bike to something really stable, for both stability and of course to make it difficult for any potential tief!
I use two chains, with quality locks,one for just the rear wheel and frame (to force a thief to carry it!), the other thru the frame and front wheel onto something stable.
I then join poppers under the bike, as usually such covers have those already fitted.
There is also a cheap vibration alarm, that runs for 2-4 weeks on one charge (USB) and is well under 15 UK Pounds on ebay, with a remote control. It goes under the saddle and is also a rear red light!
Very occasionally, a storm wind might set the alarm off, so I have a second remote fob (ebay 4 UK Pounds) on my bedside table to allow resetting, while still in bed.
One of those rubber "Spiders" can help to attach over the cover....
regards
Andy