Cargo bike frame

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Okay, so I am off sick and with time on my hands. I found this company who manufactures frames.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Cargo-E-Bike-Aluminum-Alloy-Frame_60833877561.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normalList.41.89136b52H3WqoQ
If I have read it correctly, their price is 68 US dollars. With my fag packet calculations, I estimate you could build a bike, using a Woosh kit as a guide, for about £1200. That is with all parts at retail prices. Dealers on here who are used to dealing with suppliers will have a better idea of costs/quantities. If this is a copy of a Yuba Curry, then an un-powered Curry that I found in the UK is £2000. The thing about building your own is that you get exactly what you want. The man from Wisper spoke of building bikes in this way, to suit each customer. Does this sound feasible to anyone?

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Short answer - no.

The 68USD price depends on a MOQ (minimum order quantity) of 50 frames (just the frame, mind you - doesn't include any additional components) and doesn't include shipping. You're probably looking at closer to 150USD for a single frame and then add the same again for shipping. Add in a bit more for import duty and VAT and you're about there.

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Short answer - no.

The 68USD price depends on a MOQ (minimum order quantity) of 50 frames (just the frame, mind you - doesn't include any additional components) and doesn't include shipping. You're probably looking at closer to 150USD for a single frame and then add the same again for shipping. Add in a bit more for import duty and VAT and you're about there.
I had allowed £200 for the frame in my calculations, so it may be £250. The frame for the bike I use now cost me £160. I did not want to be a timewaster and bother the company with questions, then not buy anything. That is why I thought dealers on here would be much more in touch. One very helpful dealer on here got me a similar frame, which I am close to building now. Health reasons held me up. There are lots of great boxy cargo bikes about in the UK, but nothing like this.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Traders on Alibaba will likely not be interested in discussing business with you if you only require a single frame. Try Aliexpress for single quantities and a better indication of the landed price. I don't think you are a long way off with your estimate, more in the £1500+ region.

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Well, if I allow £300 for the frame, £500 for the kit, I can get to £200 for all the sundries = £1000. I allowed £200 in case of wishful thinking! That was my £1200. My original frame came from AliExpress, but frame choice is limited. I logged-in there this morning, but my browsing of AliBaba has already rewarded me with two emails, without actually contacting anyone! I was thinking along these lines because of the anti-dumping tarrifs looming.