Carrara e spec (problems)

Andypolo85

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 17, 2020
So I have just purchased an ebike and been reading loads from the forum as I have a couple of issues..

Firstly error e42 keeps popping up (very frustrating as not had chance to test properly) hope someone can shed some light on this

Secondly I have delved into the controller to see if any wires loose and found a red wire unconnected to anything .. would this be from factory or could this be my problem... ??. Its not a bare wire like it's broken its heat shrinked and convincingly like a sensor .. could it be a heat sensor or is that me clutching at straws...

The bike dose work inbetween the error code and feels ok ish .. I'm not 100% they ate linked as I belive the motor has had it.. and the wire could be an unused wire possibly..

Any advice would be really helpful,

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
So I have just purchased an ebike and been reading loads from the forum as I have a couple of issues..

Firstly error e42 keeps popping up (very frustrating as not had chance to test properly) hope someone can shed some light on this

Secondly I have delved into the controller to see if any wires loose and found a red wire unconnected to anything .. would this be from factory or could this be my problem... ??. Its not a bare wire like it's broken its heat shrinked and convincingly like a sensor .. could it be a heat sensor or is that me clutching at straws...

The bike dose work inbetween the error code and feels ok ish .. I'm not 100% they ate linked as I belive the motor has had it.. and the wire could be an unused wire possibly..

Any advice would be really helpful,
It might help if you told us all whether the bike is new or secondhand.
Andy

Andypolo85

Feb 17, 2020
Sorry it's a secondhand bike ... with 750miles ,

Imagine mostly road riding as opposed to trail riding dosnt appear to have had a hard life...

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Sorry it's a secondhand bike ... with 750miles ,

Imagine mostly road riding as opposed to trail riding dosnt appear to have had a hard life...
May I ask just how old is the bike?
Also, was it owned (your opinion only) by an informed, long term e-biker, or a man/woman with probably little or no technical knowledge?
If the bike is over 6 months old, I consider it possibly to be a battery problem, but purely guessing at this point in time.
What sort of distance can you cover on one charge?
Have you checked the charger and battery voltage with a known good Volt or Multi Meter? What were the results?
What is the nominal voltage of the battery?
If you need help doing that, just ask.
Can you post a close, focused photo of the loose wire at the end? Maybe someone with the same model can look to see where this wire should normally go and provide photos to help you get it repaired. Bike builders generally do not leave loose wires lying around....
Also, describe exactly in what part, battery or controller or bike frame, where you found this.
I feel that this loose wire may possibly be the whole problem, but I am just guessing at this time...but it needs to be identified and fixed even if its not your actual problem.
regards and best of luck.
Andy

Andypolo85

Feb 17, 2020
Thanks for the reply .. I haven't had a chance to properly test the bike so unsure of battery condition or how long it's likely to last .. I will post a photo of the wire a little later on as for now i put it back together .. it's still bringing up the code.. at best will last a minute before it comes up (e42) and then it's a case of stopping and re setting the computer (off/on) and then another minute max before it comes up again.. the previous owner was the first owner (man) and I would say little to no knowledge of ebikes ..

If any builders out there can shed some light I'd be very grateful.. just want to have a blast and feel what it's like..

I will get a photo in a little bit and post it here.. thanks again ..

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
And the bike is a 2018 model .. :)
I hope that the cable is the only problem and the battery is in order, as they can be very expensive to replace if defective.
I am sure that there are people here with the same model e-bike, who will be willing to help you.
Having a multi meter is to my mind a must.
Knowing how to use it is also very simple, but also needed.
Battery care in the long term is also important as if they are ignored for long periods, they self discharge and once below a certain SOC (State Of Charge or voltage), cannot be charged by a standard charger....
The special chargers that MAY recover the battery are not everywhere! I only know of one supplier, and it is only for 36 volt nominal batteries.
But that may have changed since I last used one....
regards and best of luck.
Andy

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
What's this also
I don't actually recognise it, sadly.
Guessing only, maybe a line filter, was it quite heavy?
You see similar ones in power and USB cables, like a heavy little lump, but as I said, guessing only, as they come in all different sizes and shapes..
Sorry!
Andy

Andypolo85

Feb 17, 2020
So , I did some poking and prodding and completely blew the controller up.. sparks n all.. :( .. not the best purchase I have made as now I'm buying new motor and new controller and not even ridden it for more than 5 minutes .. :( .. could of built one cheaper... I will let you know how I get on in a few days..

The little piece was like a magnet type thing and was placed in the middle of 4 wires .. strange ... possible flux capacitor or whirlygigg .. hey ho.. I must continue as I want to have a blast.. and was fair cheap so hopefully soon be sorted..

Thanks for the help so far..

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
So , I did some poking and prodding and completely blew the controller up.. sparks n all.. :( .. not the best purchase I have made as now I'm buying new motor and new controller and not even ridden it for more than 5 minutes .. :( .. could of built one cheaper... I will let you know how I get on in a few days..

The little piece was like a magnet type thing and was placed in the middle of 4 wires .. strange ... possible flux capacitor or whirlygigg .. hey ho.. I must continue as I want to have a blast.. and was fair cheap so hopefully soon be sorted..

Thanks for the help so far..
Sad.
I neglected to mention that the battery needs to be removed or switched off, or if installed, the large fuse needs to be pulled (though not in every battery!)
But the good point is that you appear to have found the problem!
Though as to whether its beyond repair, I could not say....But simply moving properly made wiring, should never result in a fireworks display.....
regards
Andy

Andypolo85

Feb 17, 2020
Purchase made and not completely broke the bank , have a second hand re con motor turning up @£35!
And a scond hand controller with motor cable attached for £40 ! So all in all if it works out should have a working ebike for under £500

Just hoping that I haven't blown up the battery or computer as that will be more expense and the new bits fix the issue . ..

Will post an update as and when bits arrive and I start re assembly..

Cheers for the help so far ..

Reactions: Andy-Mat