Carrera Crosscity

Audreycat

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 8, 2018
West Yorkshire
Hi all, new here. Any owners of Carrera Crosscity folding e- bikes had similar problems? I bought mine from Halfords last March, rather impulsively after struggling with a normal bike due a hip problem. After a couple of outings on the tow- paths, hip got worse, and I gave up riding for a while. A while turned into a year, so I decided my best best would be to sell it. Had someone local interested, so got it set up for a test-ride. No power. Ok, battery probably will need charging after so long. Got the never-used charger out. The LED showed green. Manual says it is red until battery charged, then it turns green. Manual also says because it hasn’t been used for a while I need to hold down the button on the battery to take it out of sleep mode. There is no hold-down-able button on the battery.... ! Phone Halfords. No idea. Bring it in. Took it in yesterday. They admitted some chargers have been duds. So they got a fresh charger out of its box and tried it on my bike and their showroom model. Nothing. So they got the charger they use. After 20 mins, still nothing. Left bike with them so they could see if charging it for a few hours made any difference. Still waiting to hear. Now I know I was supposed to discharge the battery fully the first two times - but I never got to the first once. I paid £80 for extra warranty.... any ideas?

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
You seem to be saying that the battery has been left for a year with no use, either discharge or charge. If that's the case the battery voltage may well be below what the charger will recognise. If Halfords come back with a 'Don't know', you are going to need a voltmeter.

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
I'd guess a dead battery but it's a guess without testing it and the charger

Main reason is that the battery was left for a year without use. Use it or lose it as they say

If one or a couple of cell series have dipped below the low voltage cutoff then the charger won't start.

Did you leave it fully charged or empty ? If empty then it will almost certainly have gone below the lower voltage limit. Maybe repairable but if under warranty is demand a new battery

Store near a full charge and top up every 3 months as a very rough guide to keep lithium batteries going

Audreycat

Apr 8, 2018
West Yorkshire
You seem to be saying that the battery has been left for a year with no use, either discharge or charge. If that's the case the battery voltage may well be below what the charger will recognise. If Halfords come back with a 'Don't know', you are going to need a voltmeter.
Not got one of those.... I’m kind of hoping that if Halfords gave me a dud charger, the fact that I - due to hip problems - couldn’ t fully discharge the battery by riding the bike maybe is not my fault?

Audreycat

Apr 8, 2018
West Yorkshire
I'd guess a dead battery but it's a guess without testing it and the charger

Main reason is that the battery was left for a year without use. Use it or lose it as they say

If one or a couple of cell series have dipped below the low voltage cutoff then the charger won't start.

Did you leave it fully charged or empty ? If empty then it will almost certainly have gone below the lower voltage limit. Maybe repairable but if under warranty is demand a new battery

Store near a full charge and top up every 3 months as a very rough guide to keep lithium batteries going

D

Deleted member 4366

You can't charge the battery below 0 deg and above 40 deg.

Most likely, the battery has gone to sleep and needs waking up. What happens when tou press the button for the battery LEDs? Did you try press and hold it?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hopefully it is in sleep mode ;).

Worse case is a cell group has drained below lvc preventing the BMS from switching on :(.

Audreycat

Apr 8, 2018
West Yorkshire
You can't charge the battery below 0 deg and above 40 deg.

Most likely, the battery has gone to sleep and needs waking up. What happens when tou press the button for the battery LEDs? Did you try press and hold it?
There is no hold-downable button on the battery - despite what it says in the manual. Just a round, red, click on or off button.

Kevrum74

Aug 3, 2020
I have the same problem, in 2 weeks he battery just died on a cross city ebike, it's my wife's bike I think she's left of a couple of weeks with the battery totally dead now, I do apologise jumping in on your post , what could the issues be if not working after a few week, and also back wheel keeps going down slowly, to flat, i.think this may be a slow puncture, I'm hoping Halfords don't charge a load to fix battery or wake it uo, they did say the diagnostic is free but as bike about 3 years old, but only started been used over last 6 months, rest of time never used in the house.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Check the battery voltage with a meter, it will give an idea of the battery state.
Having not been used for over 30 months then used for six, may mean a cell issue.
Too comment any more we need a voltage reading.

Asherd10

Just Joined
Jan 14, 2021
I also purchased the carerra crosscity e bike from halfords in May 2018
First issue was a screeching sound coming from the motor just 2-3 months after i bought it. After taking it to Halfords 3 times it was then exchanged under warranty Sept 2018
Then just over a year later the rear wheel rim snapped, Jan 2020 this was exchanged under the consumer rights act in May 2020
Then just 4 months after that in Sept 2020, the battery died and would not charge. A new battery was provided under the consumer rights act Nov 2020. There's been alot of manufacturers issues with this bike. MOTOR, WHEEL RIM AND BATTERY.

Attachments

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
My wife has one of these - she has never actually ridden it so I take it out when I feel sorry for it and try to drain the battery and recharge it a few times - and we take it with us when we go on holiday in this country because it fit in the car easier than by full sized ebike

apart from screeching from the motor in high assistance - which started when it was out of guarantee - it has been great
not as good as a full sized Raleigh with Bosch mid drive - but it works fine and got me up and down a load of Cornish hills last year

if the battery goes I will just try to get it recelled - it looks pretty basic and my old Powacycle was MUCH better after a recell - which was also cheaper than a new battery!

Advertisers