Carrera Crossfire - 2017Cut out issues fixed?

nab

Pedelecer
May 10, 2010
Hi

I’m looking st the crossfire carrera as a possible bike. I see that there were issues with cut outs in the net around 2017.

Wondering if anyone knows whether the current model has similar issues?

Thanks
Neil

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
That's an interesting question. The problem is who's going to put their money down and test it.

One thing I would say is that Halfords must have had massive grief from the last model, and I can't believe that they would sell the replacement unless it was absolutely guaranteed that it had been fixed.

The Crossfire E was a fantastic bike when it worked. I hope it's now fixed.

Michael Love

Pedelecer
Aug 26, 2018
Two posts from two different people on different websites swear with that cable tying the motor plug to the frame near the motor, or by cable tying the display vertically to its mount each side of the display stops the shutdown issue. You could also just try removing the display, it does remove vertically and then there is a cover to put over the open pins if you want... But to remove the display and reseat it a few times to see if the issue is fixed.
Cannot remember the websites unfortunatelybut search crossfire and Vulcan, and you might stumble on them.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Two posts from two different people on different websites swear with that cable tying the motor plug to the frame near the motor, or by cable tying the display vertically to its mount each side of the display stops the shutdown issue. You could also just try removing the display, it does remove vertically and then there is a cover to put over the open pins if you want... But to remove the display and reseat it a few times to see if the issue is fixed.
Cannot remember the websites unfortunatelybut search crossfire and Vulcan, and you might stumble on them.
There were several causes for the cut-outs, but the main one seems to be an over-sensitive sensor in the battery, which cannot be fixed by DIY.

There's also the problem with the optical torque sensor getting dirty, but the new chainwheel looks different, so maybe they fixed it with a different design.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I did read that the original Crossfire battery maker more recently redesigned their own smart BMS (no reason given), but the battery (and presumably the BMS/sensors therein) on this new Crossfire are from a totally different manufacturer. It looks as if the controller has been moved too - from the battery dock to maybe that bulge at the bottom of the downtube?

Michael Love

Pedelecer
Aug 26, 2018
I think you are correct, you can see the wire going into it and what looks like a lid on the bottom of the bar, the lid better be watertight :)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH