Carrera Crossfire - Modify Gearing

Borwick

Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2011
London and North West
We live in Cumbria, so we have some lovely but severe hills.

The bike is around 4 years old and has done 2000 miles, so the cassette is wearing. I would like to take the opportunity to tune the gears to our hills!

The current set-up is a 42 Teeth Chainwheel and an 8-speed 11 - 34 Teeth Cassette. A cassette with 40 or 42 teeth would be an improvement.

Has anyone else tried this mod? I guess that a different derailleur hanger will be needed ... but which? I wonder if there will be sufficient chain tension then on the smallest cog?

I would welcome any advice. Many thanks.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
You can go with a Sunrace 8 speed 11-40t cassette. The existing Altus derailleur will handle it if you screw the b screw all the way in. You will of course need a new longer chain (go for 116 link one to be sure it's long enough)

Reactions: Borwick

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Is the rear mech a long cage or med cage ? Sometimes it is prudent to fit a road link to increase the mech capability rather then winding in the B screw and have the tension at the max all the time.

Borwick

Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2011
London and North West
Hi,

Thank you both for your helpful replies.

I have attached some snaps of the current arrangement with the 34T cog. I'll look after and clean the new one better, I promise...

The straight line distance between the hubs of the jockey wheels is 65mm. I am unsure whether that is a medium or long.

Sun Race seem to be the only ones available at present and they seem to get decent reviews. I had my eye on their 42T cassette and wonder if that might work? I suppose the 40T would not be much different.

Would a hanger extension be needed for both 40 and 42T ?

I shall get a SRAM eBike chain with 122 links and cut to size .

Thank you so much for your help. Oddly, these unreliable old bikes attract affection and it is nice to keep them going, even if they stop all of the time!

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That is a short cage mech, I can't see you just putting 40t on with out a road link/ hanger extender as the mech for sure won't have the capabilities and then you may still have issues with capacity. In addition to the road link also use a new longer B screw as well.
My Gravel bike was 2x with 48t x 34t largest gears with a medium cage, I swapped out to 48t X 40t set up with a Sunrace and used a cheap road link off ebay, SJS cycles also sell them.

Borwick

Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2011
London and North West
I had better go for the 40T cog with a hanger extension, of course. 42T might be nicer but nobody seems to have done that and it won't make a lot of difference for me over the 40T.

This is probably the last makeover that the bike will get as the battery can't have that much more life in it so I am not minded to spend a lot just now.

I tend to use all sorts of "paths" and a consideration is not allowing the clearance between the derailleur and the ground to narrow too much. There also seems to be bother with longer hanger extensions coming loose - which is not something I would wish for in the wilds.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Many thanks for your advice.

Borwick

Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2011
London and North West
Making some progress. I think that a derailleur hanger is needed to allow full selection of gears.

I have bought one hanger but it will need some milling to make it fit. There is not a lot of metal there to mill!

Has anyone fitted a derailleur hanger to a Carrera Crossfire which fits out-of-the-box?

Many thanks.

Borwick

Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2011
London and North West
Above is the Carrera Crossfire fitted with a Sun Race 40T cassette. It was difficult to tell how satisfactory the set up would be without a derailer extender as it was all so out of adjustment and needed a new chain and cable. The chain geometry looked as though it would work after a fashion.

I fitted an extender. This needed some alteration which I did with an electric drill and a metal bit. The metal is soft and easily worked.

Both the cassette and the hanger extender were Amazon acquisitions. Bike shops are reluctant to sell non-standard parts, I think because of liability and potentially disappointed customers.

However, I had a good deal of help from Boneshaker Bikes and Powerbikes UK in Whitehaven. They know Carreras probably all too well and keep good stock of parts for them. I bought a torque sensor and bottom bracket and various other bits from them and they were happy to advise with the benefit of real experience. Both names are in my little black book.

I bought on their advice an eBike chain by KMC. These have a Bosch label nowadays. I expect that if Rommel had a push bike in the Western Desert, he would have chosen a KMC chain. I broke 2 cheap chain splitters in the process.

On chain length there was some compromise. I wondered if the extender would mean a longer chain - as when swapping a short for a long de-railer cage. In the end I went for the usual formula length - around the chain wheel and biggest cog and then add two links. You can see the result in the photos when 1 and 8 were selected. The chain might be tighter on the small cog but then there may be difficulty selecting the large.

The changing could be crisper but everything selects without delay. There is a lot of play in the jockey wheels and I am pondering whether to buy a new derailer and perhaps a longer one. For the moment, I am happy with the result and the bigger cog makes a difference on our lovely lakeland hills.

Anyway, that is enough from Mr Pooter's derailer diary but I thought someone might be interested in a straightforward improvement to a popular bike. Although unreliable and now more expensive, at the time this bike did a lot to democratize ebiking. So far it has done over 2K miles and I hope for similar before the battery packs in.

Thank you for the help from this great forum. A contrast to Halfords. I took it there as my first thought was that there would be no drama fitting a new torque sensor. They forgot about it for 3 weeks and then their child labourers attempted to tell porkies about how they had exhaustively tested it but, the computer said, "No." But from reading here, I see that we're used to that ...

Advertisers