Carrera Crossfire weird click sound when turning battery on.

Artmuzz

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2016
Scotland
I seem to have a problem with the battery on my Carrera Crossfire electric bike. I have had the bike for over two years now. When I press the button on the battery it makes a click sound and not turning on. I have had problems with the battery not turning on before but I’ve never had the weird click sound when I press the button. This has never happened before. I’m scared to press the button again or charge it in case it blows up. What could be wrong with the battery? I can’t really afford a new battery. Please advise.

Last edited:

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I seem to have a problem with the battery on my Carrera Crossfire electric bike. I have had the bike for over two years now. When I press the button on the battery it makes a click sound and not turning on. I have had problems with the battery not turning on before but I’ve never had the weird click sound when I press the button. This has never happened before. I’m scared to press the button again or charge it in case it blows up. What could be wrong with the battery? I can’t really afford a new battery. Please advise.
What does the button normally do? Andy

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
does it make the same sound when the battery is removed from the bike?

grecoa

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2018
It could be the Battery Management System (BMS) inside the battery cutting out the battery supply due to a battery problem, probably low battery voltage. I think that there is sometimes a procedure that can be followed to re equalise cell voltage, but sometimes a specific charger is needed.
Any instructions with your bike?

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
The button is usually silent when I press it. The click sound can be heard from the whole battery.
My only guess is that a relay is getting worn out, but its a long shot!
If you are technically trained and very careful, maybe you might take the covers off the battery and observe what makes the click.
That is what I would do, but I am technically proficient.
If you are not, its a very dangerous step to make.....err on the side of safety, as you could burn your house down!
Regards
Andy

Artmuzz

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2016
Scotland
The click sound when pressing the button on the battery only happens when the battery is connected on my bike. When it’s removed I can press the button on the battery without the click sound.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The click sound when pressing the button on the battery only happens when the battery is connected on my bike. When it’s removed I can press the button on the battery without the click sound.
Most likely scenario then, it is due to the controllers main capacitor charging up from the voltage in rush when the battery is turned on. The click or noise is most likely a spark between battery and receivers contacts.

• Agree
Reactions: grecoa

grecoa

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2018
Sounds like it's the BMS possibly cutting out when there is a load on the battery due to low voltage being sensed from internal cell or cells.
Looks like you need to have someone look at your battery for you :(

grecoa

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2018
Yes, well said Nealh, it could well be bad battery connections.
If so, signs of corrosion and arcing should be visible on the contacts, and may be fixed by cleaning and tightening the contacts and applying some weatherproof lubricant.

Artmuzz

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2016
Scotland
I noticed a while ago that the pin contacts are loose and that one of the pin contacts is slightly bent on the battery holder on the bike and I took it to Halfords last year to get fixed through the warranty but left it due to the hassle from Halfords.

I was going to get it fixed a couple of months ago but found out that the 2 year warranty had run out. I don’t know if it would be possible to get fixed through warranty even though warranty ran out in July 2018.

I fully charged the battery and connected it back to my bike and when I press the power on the speedometer screen I hear the dreaded click and the display comes on for second with E00 on the display then switches off.

I phoned up Halfords and told them the problem and as Nealh says it’s a connection problem and to bring it in and the tech staff will have a look. I mentioned that a I was supposed to have this fixed while the bike was still in warranty and I have financial difficulties and he told me to have a word with the manager when I’m at Halfords.

Last edited:

Artmuzz

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2016
Scotland
I haven’t been to Halfords yet but I managed to get it working by giving the battery a small tap with my hand. However, this is only a temporary solution but it tells me it’s a connection problem. I’m waiting until I have enough money before taking it to Halfords because I have a feeling I will have to pay even though the problem has been there even when it was in warranty which has run out now.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Now you have identified the faulty part, when you do go to Halfrauds, don't leave the bike with them, show them the loose connector, ask them to order you a new one and call you when they have it. I have read here and elsewhere of folks waiting months for replacement parts on that Suntour system, as they have apparently stopped making it. You may well end up having to carry out a DIY repair, or finding someone who can, which may well be a better/cheaper solution.

Artmuzz

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2016
Scotland
Now you have identified the faulty part, when you do go to Halfrauds, don't leave the bike with them, show them the loose connector, ask them to order you a new one and call you when they have it. I have read here and elsewhere of folks waiting months for replacement parts on that Suntour system, as they have apparently stopped making it. You may well end up having to carry out a DIY repair, or finding someone who can, which may well be a better/cheaper solution.
I’ll take your advice and not leave the bike with them until they have ordered the part. However, I think all it needs is a spot of superglue on the plastic that holds the contact pins because the plastic bit that holds the contact pins on the bike is very loose.

Would it be safe to spray switch cleaner into the battery’s contact sockets and onto the pins on the bike?

Last edited: