Help! Carrera crossfuse issue?

Scoobs222

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 23, 2020
Ok I have a carrera crossfuse ebike that's done around 7k miles, it was still running great, quiet and smooth then suddenly the motor stopped working. It feels like the chain is off when pedalling forward, no resistance, no power at all, back pedalling there's slightly more resistance. Pedalling back and forward is quiet. There's no error codes either, any ideas what it could be?

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
It feels like the chain is off when pedalling forward, no resistance, no power at all,
If there is no resistance, does that mean when you pedal the back wheel is not turning? Or am I misunderstanding?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Motor resistance seems fine as there is always some minor with backward motion, due to no freewheel action.
Does the display turn and stay on?

Scoobs222

Mar 23, 2020
Motor resistance seems fine as there is always some minor with backward motion, due to no freewheel action.
Does the display turn and stay on?
Yeah display is fine, showed the walking speed as I walked with it and the level of assistance.

Scoobs222

Mar 23, 2020
If there is no resistance, does that mean when you pedal the back wheel is not turning? Or am I misunderstanding?
That's correct, just imagine pedalling on a bike without a chain. Nothing moves when pedalling. (Apart from the pedals obviously!)

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
That's correct, just imagine pedalling on a bike without a chain. Nothing moves when pedalling. (Apart from the pedals obviously!)
So your freewheel is not engaging when you pedal. The pawls must be stuck, due to water or dirt getting in.

And that must be affecting the motor's ability to 'see' that you are pedalling, and if it doesn't see that it won't assist. Fix the freewheel and see if that solves it. Sometimes a good shake and rattle will get one of the pawls back in action.

Do you have a torque sensor or cadence sensor, and where is it?

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
So your freewheel is not engaging when you pedal. The pawls must be stuck, due to water or dirt getting in.

And that must be affecting the motor's ability to 'see' that you are pedalling, and if it doesn't see that it won't assist. Fix the freewheel and see if that solves it. Sometimes a good shake and rattle will get one of the pawls back in action.

Ok, I looked it up, it's a Bosch mid-drive, so torque sensor, which makes perfect sense. You can't apply torque, so it doesn't need to!

Sort the freewheel and it should be fine.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Didn't have my thinking head on last night and it has just registered this is a mid drive Bosh bike as well. If under warranty get Halfords to repair it or if out of warranty do it your self.

Scoobs222

Mar 23, 2020

Thanks for your help guys, yes it was an issue with the freewheel, have to get it changed according to halfords, an easy fix they reckon, cost sound 50 quid to sort but going to take a week!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Do it your self easier and about the same price without waiting, tools are about £5 and a cassette about £30 - £40, time to do the job 10 - 15 mins .

Scoobs222

Mar 23, 2020
Knowing my luck I'll get the wrong size or do something wrong and mess it up even more haha I can just about do a tube and tyre change!

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Ask for specifics. Huge number of home bike mechanics here will give you the best advice and provide links to the exact tool or adaptor you need.

You tube is fantastic for visual 'How do I do this ?' From those you can strip and service anything from modern high end mtb sus forks, shocks,brakes or everything and anything else bike related.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You cant go wrong with a cassette swap as it is exactly a swap. Remove chain/ wheel and undo a lock retaining ring, slide off the cassette & slide on the new cassette. Tighten lock ring refit wheel and chain, all done.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
You cant go wrong with a cassette swap as it is exactly a swap. Remove chain/ wheel and undo a lock retaining ring, slide off the cassette & slide on the new cassette. Tighten lock ring refit wheel and chain, all done.
yep agreed, easy swap out. The cassette is £22 from Amazon Shimano I-CSHG4009134 Cassette 9 Speed https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LNH9CLW/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_Q5GX79128VPZPHDSG01Q?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

tools needed less than a fiver Bicycle Cassette Removal Tool Kit, 7Pcs Bike Chain Wheel Tool Set with Freewheel Removal Tool, Sprocket Remover/Chain Whip, Crank Puller, Chain Cutter, Bottom Bracket Removal Tool, Bike Repair Tools https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08B1F7R4P/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_BZG91VYN8J0QM9K6FZTH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1