Carrera Subway 2 Conversion

lyme

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Staffordshire
Hi All,

Has anyone converted a Carrera Subway 2 to an ebike. Been looking in Halfords at ebikes and thought the above may be a suitable donor, 9 speed with hydraulic discs and available direct from Halfords on eBay at £280 (in store £350). Next question would be with conversion kit would be best, 5'8", 83kg and need it to be able to climb hills with a decent range and would be used primarily when we go away in our motor home.
Cheers

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you have 27.5 wheels, 3 x 9 gears on the Carrera Subway 2.
for your weight, I'd suggest XF08C in 27.5 - I get them in 27.5 in a couple of weeks if you are not in a hurry.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits#xf08ckit

Reactions: lyme

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What ever you do to the bike you can't take it back for repair/service as they won't touch it with a barge pole as you will have modified it for a use it wasn't designed for.

That aside if you want legal power then BBS01B 250W with programming lead and 14.5 /17ah, 522/612wh battery should give 40 - 50+ miles with good input.
You would loose the front rings but with an adapter spider can keep 2, though not yet tried it.

Or a 48V 250w SWX02 kit from Woosh, you would loose your cassette gears and have to make do with a 9sp freewheel.

Or a 36v MXUS cst kit to keep the 9sp cassette, though even with hub motor you may find you need greater gear range then 12-32, all depends on how strong and fit a rider you are and assist mode you use.

lyme

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Staffordshire
Thanks for the quick replies and suggestions and I would not have any intentions of taking the bike back to Halfords for any warranty issues as I'm a time served mech eng and repair all of my own bikes and just in the process of learning how to build wheels. If I loose the additional chain rings it would be no great loss and most of the time I will be cycling with my wife who wants to order a Woosh Petite very soon. I am also quite fit as I cycle around 150+ miles a week with two local clubs.

Will look into all of the very helpful suggestions so far.

Thanks
Alan

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Take a look at these kits, Chinese company, but well priced and shipped from Germany. Sell well and often out of stock, but usually re-stocked in a couple of weeks. 18 month warranty on batteries and 12 months on kit.

https://www.yosepower.com/en/product/Hub-Motor-36V350W-27.5"-Rear-Motor-with-Cassette-Bicycle-E-Bike-Hub-Conversion-Kit-Silver-DIY-E-bike-LCD-Display-124.html

https://www.yosepower.com/en/product/Hub-Motor-36V350W-Black-Hub-Motor-for-Rear-Wheel-28"(700C)-&-HL1-36V14.5Ah-Battery-Conversion-Kit-DIY-E-bike-112.html

Reactions: Turbnics and lyme

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
An older 26" wheeled Subway2 with an MXUS motor similar to the XF08C Woosh sell. Works really well. Total weight with battery 20kg.
DSC_0056.jpg

Last edited:

it is i footpump

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2018
I have Carrera subway one ,which I fitted with 250w tdz2 moter 10ah bottle battery.
I changed the front mech disc to hydralic .

the only thing is I wished I had gone for a bike with front sus & lockout,

TheBaldConvict

Just Joined
Jul 21, 2018
An older 26" wheeled Subway2 with an MXUS motor similar to the XF08C Woosh sell. Works really well. Total weight with battery 20kg.
View attachment 25652
Hi, this is the exact bike I am looking to do as well, I've pretty much decided on the Woosh XF08 CST rear kit and was looking at the batteries, What size frame does your have and is there any particular reason you went for the rack mount option?

I think I'm going to try and mock up a cardboard battery as I have the 18" frame so I'm not sure the in frame batteries will fit.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Hi, this is the exact bike I am looking to do as well, I've pretty much decided on the Woosh XF08 CST rear kit and was looking at the batteries, What size frame does your have and is there any particular reason you went for the rack mount option?

I think I'm going to try and mock up a cardboard battery as I have the 18" frame so I'm not sure the in frame batteries will fit.
It's an 18" frame.
I used the rear rack as I wanted to hide the batteries and was getting into using rc lipo's which were a smaller option at the time.

TheBaldConvict

Just Joined
Jul 21, 2018
Hi, many thanks for that, I have just sent a message with a million questions to Woosh so hopefully I'll be placing an order soon.
Out of interest is it a 36v 250w motor you have? If so what size battery and how far does it take you?

I know your potentially a way better rider than me but I'm trying to weigh up what size battery to get.