Carrera vengeance e bike

Chris Georgiou

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 2, 2021
Hi everyone.
Wondering if anyone can Help me I've had my carrera vengeance ebike for a couple of weeks and love it, one thing that is driving me crazy is an annoying clicking from the back wheel when peddling. Has anyone got any ideas.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If it's once per rotation then look at the brake rotor could be the pads rubbing order not unheard of a warped rotor.
Other possibilty is/are spokes not correctly tensioned.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Is it definitely just when pedalling? Badly cut off ends of brake or derailleur cables clicking against spokes can cause that, but it then happens whether pedalling or not.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Could be a stiff link on the chain, or a distorted tooth on the rear sprockets (or jockey wheels).
Does it happen once per wheel revolution, once per chain cycle, or at some other rate?

Chris Georgiou

Nov 2, 2021
I'm clueless when it comes to bikes. It doesn't seem to do it all the time. Might take it back to Halfords get them to look at it.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Brakes rotors if catching can make a tick noise, spokes don't need to be loose to make a noise.
Without a short film it is hard for anyone to come to any conclusion.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I'd lift the back wheel off the ground then squat down next to it turning the pedals slowly. You should be able to identify where the click is happening from that.
If nothing presents itself it could be an internal problem.
Halfords its pot luck whether you get a proper mechanic or a work placement teenager who hasnt the experience and wont make the effort if its not really really obvious.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
When tightening spokes one needs to ensure the wheel remains true, always best to attach a cable tie to the stay and trim the tail so it touches the rim, then one can use it as a gauge for true and tensioning the spokes.
I used to rely on plucking for tension but nowadays do also use a tensiometer.

It is unseen but a spoke tension incorrectly may click/tick as they cross over and touch, as wheel rotates tension mass changes with rotation and direction also a nipple can loosen it self (ever so minutely) if tension/wheel build is incorrect.

essex_chris

May 29, 2022
Possible this is one of the reflectors - my bike had a little too much play and depending on the road surface i would hear the reflector tapping against the spoke. Drove me nuts but figured it in the end

Related Articles

Advertisers