Carrera Vengeance E Spec no drive

Pick88

Just Joined
Jun 13, 2020
Hi All,

I purchased a Carrera Vengeance E Spec bike from cycle Republic in January, I have not had any issues until earlier today when all of a sudden the bike went dead and had no pedal assist.

I still have heads up display fully working and the battery seems to be OK and still charges. All wires seem to be connected also.

Along with no power from the rear mounted hub I am getting a clicking noise which seems to be coming from the front crank when under load.

If any one can help with this error would be much appreciated as I have only done a hundred or do miles on it.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Pick88

Just Joined
Jun 13, 2020
Cheers guys it started working again for bout 20 min under very light strain in 1st gear, take Halfords in morning

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
  • :D
Reactions: Edward Elizabeth

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Dropped my wifes Halfrauds bike off yesterday with a dead motor.
Earliest they will even look at it is Mid July, let alone order replacement parts!
That's the beauty of Halfrauds they are speedy and look after the paying customer :eek: :eek::eek:.
If it was a Woosh bike the parts/spares would be in the post next day for self replacement of a component or an agent/rep if not to far away would come along to fit the part, the bike would be on the road in a matter of a few days.
The two levels of CS are night and day or should I say night and a few months.

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Is the bike still at Halfrauds or did he take it home ?
Some have had issues with torque sensor pick up as well.

Reactions: Maleyale

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Sadly not just Halfrauds; many local bike shops are pretty much as bad, though of course many remain excellent.

01wellsd

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2020
Bristol
I had to take the bike home with me as they didn't have enough storage to keep it until July.
So I annoyingly drove it 15 miles to my nearest open store for them to adjust the brakes!
No one was answering the phones there, but apparently they can't book in a warranty repair over the phone anyway :rolleyes:

I have checked all of the connectors and there doesn't seem to be any problems there, everything fits nice and tight and there is no corrosion in them. (Bikes only done about 20 miles anyway)

I'm not sure if it would be the torque sensor as the "walk assist" function isn't working either.

I was wondering if there was a fuse protecting the motor, or is this managed by the BMS?
Also, where the cable for the motor runs through the axle in the rear hub, is there a further connection? The only one that I could see was further down the frame.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Does it have a display, if so does it turn on ? If not then no power if getting through from the battery via the controller, it could be a fuse.
Are you able to get a voltage reading from the battery ?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I have checked all of the connectors and there doesn't seem to be any problems there, everything fits nice and tight and there is no corrosion in them. (Bikes only done about 20 miles anyway)
The connector you need to check is on the chain-stay about a foot from the motor. Did you check that one?

01wellsd

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2020
Bristol
Does it have a display, if so does it turn on ? If not then no power if getting through from the battery via the controller, it could be a fuse.
Are you able to get a voltage reading from the battery ?
Yep, it has the basic 790 Display and it all lights up as normal.
I don't currently have a volt meter, but I am becoming more and more tempted!

The connector you need to check is on the chain-stay about a foot from the motor. Did you check that one?
Yeh, that's the one that I've checked.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yep, it has the basic 790 Display and it all lights up as normal.
I don't currently have a volt meter, but I am becoming more and more tempted!
If the display is ok then no need to worry about a fuse, worth checking the voltage meters are cheap.

Most likely the torque sensing might be the issue, the system in the whole is plagued by issues.

01wellsd

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2020
Bristol
Think I’ll pop down to screw fix at some point.
Does this one look like it will be ok for E-Bike diagnosis?