Carrera Vengeance fault

dabstir

Just Joined
Jan 15, 2022
Hello all,
I've just bought my first EMTB which is a Carrera Vengeance and I'm having some difficulty with it, any help would be appreciated.
Battery charges fine and lights up when I press the check charge button. Issue is that I'm not getting any power to the controller on the handlebar. I checked the bullet connector going from the controller and that seems fine. What I think the issue is that there is corrosion and pitting on the battery connectors (see image). The connector closest in the image is the worst but all the rest have some degree of corrosion. The one closest in the image also sparks when I connect the battery to it. Looks like there is some corrosion in the corresponding female side of the battery. What are your thoughts on it? I don't have any experience with electrical work so if I was going to fix it I'd need to take it to a shop.

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Hi,

you don't have to have any electrical knowledge to have a go a cleaning these terminals.

Get a small piece of emery paper or the likes, or even one of your wife's nail files, and give each terminal a good clean, just rub it back and forth until they are free or corrosion and dirt.

With the battery you can fold a small piece of emery paper and push it between the terminals, to again clean the surfaces.

Only issue might be if there is further corrosion hidden inside the frame which you cant see.

But cleaning the connections and the battery terminals is a good start.

The connector closes to the camera looks like it has some pitting on it, as if the battery was arcing, and causing the spark.

See it this connection looks wider and looser than the others.

All you are looking for it a good electrical connection to start with. then go from there.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Hello all,
I've just bought my first EMTB which is a Carrera Vengeance and I'm having some difficulty with it, any help would be appreciated.
Battery charges fine and lights up when I press the check charge button. Issue is that I'm not getting any power to the controller on the handlebar. I checked the bullet connector going from the controller and that seems fine. What I think the issue is that there is corrosion and pitting on the battery connectors (see image). The connector closest in the image is the worst but all the rest have some degree of corrosion. The one closest in the image also sparks when I connect the battery to it. Looks like there is some corrosion in the corresponding female side of the battery. What are your thoughts on it? I don't have any experience with electrical work so if I was going to fix it I'd need to take it to a shop.
View attachment 45334View attachment 45335
Does the battery have an on/ off switch? If so, turn it off when removing and refitting to/from the bike. Then there will be no arcing at the contacts, unless there is a very bad connection.

Be careful when cleaning or adjusting the battery contacts not to short anything out.

Reactions: Ballynoes

Related Articles

Advertisers