Carrera Vengeance Mk1 Bafang Hub

Preload

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 4, 2019
Hi folks, looking for some advice and help here please.

Currently I have the Carrera Vengeance, with Bafang hub (BFSWX02 36V250W (12) 27.5-1808147073-1 )
With the original mini controller and LED 790 display.

Can I just use a KT type controller and LCD display with this motor?
Advice on type to look for much appreciated (wattage etc)

I took a few pics of the connectors and also the inside of the controller.
Amazingly even after removing the gelatinous compound to reveal the PCB, the controller still works :)

1_IMG_20220508_203437.jpg3_IMG_20220508_203933 (1).jpg5_IMG_20220508_214621.jpg1652093265040_2_IMG_20220508_203447.jpgIMG_20220508_214643 (1).jpg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A pic of the motor cable connector along the chain stay as well.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
In that case one can use any compatible controller/display combo, Kt will be perfect just ensure the battery can deliver more then the required max current of the controller.

Reactions: Preload

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
Hi. I think this situation has similarities to the Pendleton upgrade. I think if you change the display and controller to for example the kt version, you may also need to change the 3 in 1 signal cable for a 4 in 1 to (as well as possibly brake levers) as I think the '790' has a different pinout and the Kt also has an option for the throttle.
Anyhow, below is link to discussion on same.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I think it goes with out saying, if one is buying a new kt & lcd then it is advisable to buy the 1t4 runk cable as well.

Preload

Apr 4, 2019
Neal and Sturmey, thank you for the quick responses, much appreciated.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If one wants a light output as well then a 1t5 cable is available.

Preload

Apr 4, 2019
Project completed and many thanks to all for their response. The 1 to 4 cable wasn't obvious to me when the brain was wrapped in wh, ah voltages motor turns etc ;) so thank you for for mentioning that.

I used topbikekit and the service was fantastic. China to UK in 5 days and no customs issues.

I went for the KT LCD 8 display, a T09s controller which has 22a max current. I decided as the original controller was 17a max I could dial the new controller back to 18a.

My battery is 36v, 8.7ah (313wh). But I have no idea other than the original controller max amp, what I can safely pull from this battery. Anyone have the knowledge?

End result is a lovely smooth motor at each of the pedal assist modes, throttle is a bonus.
I found the best limit for speed was 32kph or 20mph. This motor can't give any more than that at this voltage, bike and rider weight etc.

Speed wasn't the issue for me. A nice display, programmable settings and a better understanding of the system was what I was looking for.
Thanks again to all that's exactly what I got and more.

Attachments

Reactions: essex_chris

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Depends how many cells in parallel, being 8.7ah they are likely 2900mah cells. If they have used genuine branded cells they will be a Sam 29E or Panny PF. Both will take 22a but may suffer longevity so the 17/18a threshold is ok.

essex_chris

May 29, 2022
Project completed and many thanks to all for their response. The 1 to 4 cable wasn't obvious to me when the brain was wrapped in wh, ah voltages motor turns etc ;) so thank you for for mentioning that.

I used topbikekit and the service was fantastic. China to UK in 5 days and no customs issues.

I went for the KT LCD 8 display, a T09s controller which has 22a max current. I decided as the original controller was 17a max I could dial the new controller back to 18a.

My battery is 36v, 8.7ah (313wh). But I have no idea other than the original controller max amp, what I can safely pull from this battery. Anyone have the knowledge?

End result is a lovely smooth motor at each of the pedal assist modes, throttle is a bonus.
I found the best limit for speed was 32kph or 20mph. This motor can't give any more than that at this voltage, bike and rider weight etc.

Speed wasn't the issue for me. A nice display, programmable settings and a better understanding of the system was what I was looking for.
Thanks again to all that's exactly what I got and more.
Morning Preload. Read this thread with great interest as i have just got hold of a Vengeance with the 790 second hand.

Mine had a cracked magnet disc which when the chain slipped has actually broken in pieces - but i have managed to jerry rig something temporarily. I am looking to do similar to you and make a few upgrades so wanted to check - is this where you are referring to?

I'm going to do some research today and look at those components you mentioned. I'll start my own thread and include some photos of what i currently have to confirm with the much more knowledgeable people on here before i go ahead.

Are you pleased and what did you spend in total? Thanks

Preload

Apr 4, 2019
Morning Preload. Read this thread with great interest as i have just got hold of a Vengeance with the 790 second hand.

Mine had a cracked magnet disc which when the chain slipped has actually broken in pieces - but i have managed to jerry rig something temporarily. I am looking to do similar to you and make a few upgrades so wanted to check - is this where you are referring to?

I'm going to do some research today and look at those components you mentioned. I'll start my own thread and include some photos of what i currently have to confirm with the much more knowledgeable people on here before i go ahead.

Are you pleased and what did you spend in total? Thanks
Hi Chris, I'm very pleased with the outcome using the parts mentioned. I bought direct from topbikekit.com rather than Ali express shop. Total cost Inc delivery was about £160.

essex_chris

May 29, 2022
I've ended up with an S866 controller and display after my stock controller died on me.

The stock motor on my 2019 Vengeance E is a Bafang BFSWX02 36V250W (12)

What i'm really not sure about now is what settings to use on the controller regarding magnets or zero start. I also can't work out at present where to attach the 3 wire pas sensor - the plugs are different but it's no problem i can solder them together ok.

After initially wiring up the battery terminal connectors, the blue/yellow/green motor phase wires and then the 6 cable for motor hall sensors i could hear the motor spinning but figured it was the wrong way.

Found the manual referring to brown and black lines - but theres a purple cable on the controller which when connected worked and meant that once powered on the wheel spins - but it's very low power. Though it does adjust when pushing the + and - for adjusting the PAS level.

I have a 3 pin throttle from amazon with black/red/green wires - nothing corresponding on the leads out of the controller. Ideally i'd like to set it up with both the pas and the throttle. If possible i'd like to set it it up for more than 25.5kph - even at my weight the stock setup felt it could od more - but was limited.

The Vengeance has brake connectors with juliet cables - but not sure about wiring that up.

Would it be worthwhile starting a new thread and putting lots of photos of what i had and what i've got? Thanks in advance for any help

Attachments

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Either post here or start a new thread with plenty of photos including the controller and connectors. Then someone will advise you what to do.

Reactions: essex_chris

Advertisers