Help! Carrera vulcan espec advice

Owen78

Just Joined
Jun 6, 2020
Hi first time posting just looking for some advice .

We bought a carrera vulcan espec nearly 3 years ago. Is barley been used got less than 100 miles on it. Recently it developed an E42 fault. Took it back to halfords as no one elese would touch it!

Long story short needs a new motor all in nealry £500. The technican said its probably a common fault, manget on speed sensor?, but couldnt say for sure if the new motors have had the fault fixed.

So my questions are
Does anyone know if the newer motors are more robust?
Can the motor be fixed?
If it is a new motor is it worth fixing or just give it up and get a new bike?

Thanks

Owen

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Hi Owen

I know nothing specific about your bike or problem, but before your plea for help gets kicked into the long grass I thought I'd chime in...

You can do a forum search on "E42" and find yours is a not-uncommon problem with Carreras.

Others far wiser than me have said:
"E42 error is 'motor or motor communication fault' according to the manual"

And, from one of the wisest gurus on this forum, @vfr400:
"Error code 42 is a hall sensor failure in the motor. They don't normally fail unless water gets into the motor. You might be lucky with it only being a fault in the motor connector... If you didn't already do it, pull the connector apart, which is on the left chainstay, and have a look in it. They are notorious for coming apart when you accidentally kick them. make sure that it's pushed all the way in afterwards."

Now this reply will bump your query back to the top of the pile, I'm sure others may yet come to help.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With hub bikes you have to teach your self diy reapairs as they are in the most part easy to work on, for a hall sensor you need to be able to solder and open the hub up.

To confirm a hall issue a voltage check can be carried out to see if one has failed or not using a digital meter, how easy that is depends on the controller wiring and connector used.
If you want more help show us some pics of the motor controller, wiring and the hub.

What Halfraud's is telling you at £500 is a joke and the parts to diy repair is about £2 if you already have a soldering iron and a meter for testing, if not they cost about £15 to buy. So all in all about £20 diy to repair it onec the hub has been opened.

First job though is show us pics and to test the hall voltage.

Allan._devine

Just Joined
Jun 13, 2020
Hi first time posting just looking for some advice .

We bought a carrera vulcan espec nearly 3 years ago. Is barley been used got less than 100 miles on it. Recently it developed an E42 fault. Took it back to halfords as no one elese would touch it!

Long story short needs a new motor all in nealry £500. The technican said its probably a common fault, manget on speed sensor?, but couldnt say for sure if the new motors have had the fault fixed.

So my questions are
Does anyone know if the newer motors are more robust?
Can the motor be fixed?
If it is a new motor is it worth fixing or just give it up and get a new bike?

Thanks

Owen
Is the motor a Suntour HESC, if it is take a look at the issues people have had with the Carrera Vengance e-spec.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's not easy to test the hall sensors unless you have a spare controller side motor connector because there's nowhere to get a point to probe.

Although I've not done it, I think the Suntour motor should be easy enough to dismantle, then you can check the hall sensors inside.

£500 is too much. My friend bought one of those bikes with only a couple of hundred miles on the clock for £400

Anyway, check that connector first, and check the motor cable to see if it's damaged anywhere.

Reactions: Bikes4two