Carrera Vulcan Hub upgrade

steffg60

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 24, 2019
Hi,

I have finally fitted my new controller and throttle to my Carrera Vulcan which has improved performance a lot but the bike is still really struggling with the hills I ride.

Any ideas what hub I could upgrade to with 27.5 wheels? The battery is 36v and 11amps

Thanks in advance

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Getting more performance is down to battery capability and controller amperage .
You can either go the 48v route or apply more amps the 36v route though idealy you will need a battery with good 10-20a cells to deliver.

Your current 11ah battery is probably using mediocre 4-5a rated cells so controller rating of 15a is about their limit. Power comes at a price increase, namely a more expensive/better celled battery and a reasonably cheap controller/lcd combo that gives 5 PAS levels like the Kuenteng.

My Yose hub is paired with a 25a controller and PF celled batteries, PAS 2 gives me about 200w and if needed about 700w in PAS 5.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
How many amps does your controller allow? If it's a KT controller, you can turn the power up a bit in the settings. If it's not a KT, there are still ways to turn the power up.

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
These controllers are weak, I'm using one temporarily on my Vulcan as my KT controller was faulty and blew in the end. A KT 20a controller really brings the Carrera hub to life especially with a 48v battery which I also upgraded to. Try out a KT controller, if you still aren't satisfied consider investing in a 48v battery, even with a crappy brainpower controller it is adequate for my needs

Advertisers