CatEye Wireless not working

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Has anyone been able to fix a CatEye wireless transmitter? Mine decided to stop working last week. Changed the battery, but still no good. Changed battery in the receiver unit, but still no joy. Receiver unit works ok with my other identical transmitter on the other bike. Don't suppose it's possible just to buy the transmitter part?

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Has anyone been able to fix a CatEye wireless transmitter? Mine decided to stop working last week. Changed the battery, but still no good. Changed battery in the receiver unit, but still no joy. Receiver unit works ok with my other identical transmitter on the other bike. Don't suppose it's possible just to buy the transmitter part?
Was the unit "out of use" with an empty battery still installed? If yes, tell me, I may have a fix for you.
Andy

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Have you recently fitted it to an electric bike? They don't like to be in the vicinity of motors.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Was the unit "out of use" with an empty battery still installed? If yes, tell me, I may have a fix for you.
Andy

No it had been in use for months, then one day last week it recorded about a mile and then stopped.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Have you recently fitted it to an electric bike? They don't like to be in the vicinity of motors.

Yes I've had that problem in the past with electronic interference with things like lamps, controllers etc, especially when the battery gets low. However, this one was working fine, I hadn't changed anything on the bike and out of the blue last week it stopped working, even with all the electrics off and just spinning the front wheel by hand.

I thought it was probably just a dead battery. I changed the one in the transmitter, but that didn't help. I changed the battery in the receiver, but it still did not pick up. I took the transmitter off of another bike and the receiver picked that up ok, so it looks like the problem is the transmitter.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Maybe next door has installed a wireless camera or something. Take it up the road to see if it works.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Maybe next door has installed a wireless camera or something. Take it up the road to see if it works.
I'll take it to work with me today and see if it makes any difference in another location. However, the other wireless transmitter I have on the other bike was picked up no problem.

I managed to dig out the receipt last night. Only 8 months old. Maybe I'll be able to return it and get a wired version.

Mars

Pedelecer
May 24, 2020
Moved the display too far from the receiver e.g. raising the handlebars?

The ALDI £5 cycle computer I have uses bluetooth and looks similar to the cateye I was looking at. Bluetooth is very range dependent so move the receiver closer to the display (max 30cm on mine). Also the magnet on the spoke needs to be less than 5mm to be registered when it passes the transmitter.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Cateye has to be within 700mm for detection.
My one works fine on my ebike without display.

Mars

Pedelecer
May 24, 2020
You have tested the replacement battery? I have had a few at work that although 'new' have expired. Does sound like a hardware issue though so good that still in warranty

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
You have tested the replacement battery? I have had a few at work that although 'new' have expired. Does sound like a hardware issue though so good that still in warranty
Yes, replaced both cells. New cells at 3.3V, but no joy.