Chain cleaning device whilst riding?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I do a lot of riding along very muddy paths and tracks, and feel that my chain and chainring longevity suffers from crud that sticks to my chain throughout a ride. If it builds up too bad, then I can occasionally get some kind of chain suck, where the chain rides up and jams between the chainring and frame.

Has anyone come across any device that cleans the chain as you ride? Some kind of brush thing that touches the chain and flicks the muck off would be handy.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Has anyone come across any device that cleans the chain as you ride?
The rain does a good job of cleaning off the oil and grease from the chain while you ride. You need a hat to keep the rain off your head otherwise you end up with frizzy hair.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Motorcyclists can buy a devise called a Scottoiler that delivered oil to a motorcycle chain while the bike was being ridden and was said to extend the life of a chain considerably.

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
From my experiences, most of the mud etc comes from the front tyre actions and thrown onto chain and ring(s).
Probably need something like the old fashioned steel chain/ring covers that enclosed the chain completely.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I've been meaning for years to build a plastic full cover that is fairly rigid at the front and quite flexible at the back to allow for derailleur movement. I probably never will ....

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
From my experiences, most of the mud etc comes from the front tyre actions and thrown onto chain and ring(s).
Probably need something like the old fashioned steel chain/ring covers that enclosed the chain completely.
I agree. My SKS front mudguard has an additional extension, which manages to catch most of the crud. But there's a compromise on how low to the ground you can have the mudguard when plowing through the crap, without ripping it off :oops:

Be interesting to see if anyone out there has fitted some kind of chain and/or chainring cover to a Bafang BBSxx.