Chain for Kalkhoff ProConnect

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Having trouble sourcing new chain for 2008 ProConnect. Replaced chain in 2010, when I also bought a new 41T chainring as well but never used. 50cycles sent me recently a 132 link KMC chain, but it must be 3/32 not 1/8 as it rides up in the chainring, both the old and new one, and teeth do not match after just a few teeth around the ring. They tried to suggest that he chainring was worn, but it is the same on the new chainring. A 1/8th chain, which the old one is, fits perfectly, but I need to replace it. 50 cycles maintain they have NEVER supplied anything but 3/32 chains and chainring for Kalkhoffs, but from the chainring supplied to je in 2010, they clearly did. Hopefully someone can shed light on the correct chain for the old bikes (tillson ? Any thoughts).

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
What gear system has it?
Is it 7,9,10 speed hub or derailiers ?
They all have an influence on chain choice

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Keep the extra chain in stock so you'll have it for future extra bits at chain changes. You are right about it originally being 1/8" chain, the earlier chainwheel shoulders being unable to accept 3/32" chain seated down.

Reactions: oriteroom

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Thanks Tillson, you've confirmed what I believe, that at least the earlier ProConnects used a 1/8 inch chain. Mine are the same. I remember having the same trouble back in 2010 when I replaced chains earlier on both our Alfine hub bikes. The old and new chainring I have in no way matches the KMC chain 50cycles supplied, I only went there because it comes with 132 links. I remember now that back in 2010 I bought three chains from SJS to replace the chains on both bikes. If you need to get a new chainring, watch out, 50cycles say they only supply 3/32 chainrings etc... My picture shows how incompatible the chain is with new (and old) chainring purchased back in 2010.

.image.jpg

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Thanks as well flecc, my post crossed yours. They were still supplying the original chainrings in 2010 with the thicker shoulders. To be honest, the 1/8" chain looks better quality and robustness compared with the 3/32 KMC.