Chain guard recommendations?

Dewey

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2016
Arlington, VA
Hi, this is my first post here, I am fitting a BBS01 kit to a 1995 Dawes hybrid with a 42t lekkie chain ring, but in the process I lose the ability to mount the kit-supplied plastic chain guard and am thinking about a replacement. I assume I can't use a bottom bracket mounted chain guard because of the motor, I found through Googling that Velo Orange sell a french style chainguard that attaches to the frame with band clamps and is open at the back so should accept any width chain ring, but would an enclosed Hebie Chainglider work given the 9mm wide chain wheel tooth offset on the lekkie chain ring? The Hebie specs indicate max. chain wheel width 3 mm and max. chain width 9 mm. I have sent an email to Hebie support but wondered what the forum members use, thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Damn that Velo Orange is nice. I like shiny things. Would buy it but I have 48t ring and changer. Nice find Dewey, sorry I can'y help.

top drive

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2016
ABerdoom
sks do one designed for a triple chainset that goes behind the BB but has offset to clear a triple with 48 tooth outer. was tempted to give that a shot on my bbs02 when it arrives.

Found it on rose bikes.

jwm

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2014
Hampshire
No idea if the chainglider would fit, but they are a top piece of kit. Really good for my commute on country track and road.

John

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Chainglider fits 42 and 38. I wish they made a bigger one...

Dewey

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2016
Arlington, VA
I've put my PAS sensor on the left non-drive side, I just assumed a Bottom Bracket mount would not work on the drive side hence my looking at frame mount & chain case options.

Dewey

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2016
Arlington, VA
So the Kaul Unidisc does not work, and isn't a universal fit. It screws into where the dustcover screws in. Only works with all in one cranksets, or bent crank arms. The wide Bafang crank arm pushes the disc 2 inches outboard the chain ring. This would interfere with pedaling.

Dewey

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2016
Arlington, VA
So I had time at the weekend to work on this. In the end I bought an SKS chain board from Amazon and chain guard hardware from Velo Orange. Left off the bottom bracket mount and instead drilled two holes in the plastic guard to mount it on the down tube with the VO brackets.