Chain lube

cyclenut1952

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2019
Leeds LS27
hi, as a newbie, just purchased a small bottle of lubricant, makes whisky look cheap, do any of you use any products that are as good but cheaper? Many thanks
Brian

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

they sometimes have it in lidl and aldi think it was 4.99 last time i got one

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020

I use this on my motorbikes so it's always on hand for the push bike. Doesn't fling off

cyclenut1952

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2019
Leeds LS27

I use this on my motorbikes so it's always on hand for the push bike. Doesn't fling off
Thanks all helps

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
dry lube for summer and wet lube for winter ;)

cyclenut1952

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2019
Leeds LS27
Dry lube, wet lube, pushing 70 now what happened to 3in1 oil? but it’s good to know you all have up to knowledge to help twits like me. :)

Reactions: Spitz

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
dry lube is runny and wet lube is thicker so does not get washed of easy in the rain.

you can use other stuff but i use the muck off brand.

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
Thanks it really is helpful, I do appreciate your. time in replying
I use the wet lube stuff which is quite pricy I agree. However my ebike has a stainless chain so the only place its really needs oil is the roller. Only a very small drop is required per roller as per the instructions. I clean and lube every 10 days or so. Still have lots of left and the chain, after 1600 miles has virtually no wear.

• Agree
Reactions: soundwave

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Dry lube, wet lube, pushing 70 now what happened to 3in1 oil?
3 in 1 is rather too good at attracting dirt and grime, so it doesn't do a very good job unless you clean and reapply quite frequently. Also can be mucky on the trouser legs if you don't have a chain guard.

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
hi, as a newbie, just purchased a small bottle of lubricant, makes whisky look cheap, do any of you use any products that are as good but cheaper? Many thanks
Brian
Cheaper.......When the bottle is empty, refill with 3 parts paraffin (kerosene) to one part motor or gear oil. Shake the bottle before use.
Diesel or white spirits have been used instead of paraffin.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I've been using ordinary gearbox oil (Hypoid 90) on my bicycle and motorbike chains for more that 40 years. A single bottle doesn't cost much and it lasts forever. I've tried all sorts of expensive modern alternatives. None come anywhere close.

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
I've been using ordinary gearbox oil (Hypoid 90) on my bicycle and motorbike chains
Your workshop must smell funky! Gearbox oil smells like cat pee.....

The advantage of chain lube is that it clings and doesn't get flung off. That's also a disadvantage because all the crap gets stuck to it and you need a solvent to remove it.

I use straight engine oil in the Scottoilers on my motorbike. Without this regular feed I find straight oil gets flung off at high speed in a remarkably short distance. Less of an issue at 20mph on an ebike admittedly...

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Cheaper.......When the bottle is empty, refill with 3 parts paraffin (kerosene) to one part motor or gear oil. Shake the bottle before use.
Diesel or white spirits have been used instead of paraffin.
Interesting post!
Diesel is apparently good when a chain gets really dirty, very often, I have been told. Not tried it myself, but sounds plausible. Diesel cleans well....
I simply use quality Full Synthetic Motor oil, the same that goes in my Diesel engine, and a chain lasts up to around 2 years, and a cassette, 2 - 3 times the chain life. (Approximately!) I have never had to replace a front ring for wear problems.
It would be a great test for us all if some more people with high bike usage, would try out the same type of oil and see if it works better/worse than the Malt Whiskey priced lube or not!
I myself, never pay such prices, as a new chain is (here at least) far cheaper.....Though I do drink a good Malt from time to time!
Andy

Reactions: cyclenut1952

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Apparently, the best lube is thought to be wax. It seals the chain components and it doesn't wash off.