Chain wear?

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
The problem is, I use all eleven of my gears on my commute. Gear eleven on the flats (and I could do with a higher gear) and sometimes all the way down to gear one when riding up the steep hills on my daily commute....

The problem is, I use all eleven of my gears on my commute. Gear eleven on the flats (and I could do with a higher gear) and sometimes all the way down to gear one when riding up the steep hills on my daily commute....

Hi Bear,
The 11 speed and 8 speed have the same 11t high gear and I would be surprised if a 34t low gear wouldn’t be sufficient on most electric bikes.

Still I guess the larger steps between the gears wouldn’t suit everyone.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
How come some 11 speed chains have more links than others?

The one fitted to my bike is 120 links, I see the one you posted has 118 links, and I've also seen 11 speed chains with 114?

Infact, I bought a 114 ink chain my mistake and when fitting it today and it just doesn't fit right, the chain touches itself as in the photo below, I can only assume it is to long? (Although when holding it up against the chain I removed they were both the same length)

View attachment 30571
I believe I might see your problems. But guessing a little.
Firstly, you need to count the length of the chain by links. Not by any other type of measuring. Naturally the size of the link, both width and length need to be noted. The one in your photo is far too long.
Next, I see no motor, so you either have a front hub or a middle motor like Bosch. If a middle motor, remember that not only your pedal power goes through the chain, but also motor powers as well, so do not expect a long life for the chain, even when correctly adjusted.
Furthermore,there are some cheap chains that should not be bought, but some bike shops still fit them......and charge for a good chain!
But they are SO simple to install,with a few simple cheap tools, get someone to show you how and buy the tools.....
You might like to read this:-
regards
Andy

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Well after cutting the new chain to the same size as the old one (same number of links as the old one, both hung up together from a nail in the wall and both the same size), its still not right. It's noisy, with a horrible metal on metal sound as if its catching somewhere, and i'm getting constant chain suck.

So have I fitted the wrong chain completely? How can I tell if its the wrong chain, as it looks identical to the one i took off. The receipt for the old one said Sram PC1130 11 speed 120 link, and the new one is the same. Or, has my cassette worn so much that it needs replacing also?

I've refitted the old chain back on for now, but I just can't see what could be wrong with the new one??

Heres the new chain at the front...

New chain at the rear...

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
The SRAM PC 1130 11 Speed Chain is the only chain recommended for the SRAM Rival 22 groupset.

so it is a road bike chain and not for mtb.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
The SRAM PC 1130 11 Speed Chain is the only chain recommended for the SRAM Rival 22 groupset.

so it is a road bike chain and not for mtb.
The receipt for the chain that the bike shop fitted states Sram PC1130, which is why a bought another one. Perhaps they just scanned the barcode of one of these for a price, yet fitted a different chain entirely?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
they could of done but it is not meant for mtbs and only that group set.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
OK, thanks. So it looks like I bought the wrong chain. Any idea which chain i would need please?

Cubes website says the cassette on my bike is a Shimano SLX CS-M7000 cassette 11-46

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Thanks soundwave.

Your link shows the SLX groups, but mine is the XT Deore, but they seem to share the same SLX M7000 cassette. If so, it looks like the chain I need could be a CN-HG601-11.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

thirteen

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
West Sussex
Ok, thanks. So is there a way of working out which size chain is needed?
I did look but couldn't see the tried and tested method mentioned.

1. Take a length of chain and ignoring the derailleur, wrap it around the largest chainring at the front and the largest sprocket at the rear.

2. Pull it tight to see where the nearest rivet you could join it is. Mark that .

3. Count 2 links extra. That's your optimal chain length.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I did look but couldn't see the tried and tested method mentioned.

1. Take a length of chain and ignoring the derailleur, wrap it around the largest chainring at the front and the largest sprocket at the rear.

2. Pull it tight to see where the nearest rivet you could join it is. Mark that .

3. Count 2 links extra. That's your optimal chain length.
Thanks, Ive also seen that method on Park Tools Youtube page.

Looks like I've got the correct length chain, but the wrong type of chain.

Last edited:

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
but I just can't see what could be wrong with the new one??

Heres the new chain at the front...

View attachment 30600
I'm going to say that there is a high probability that what's happening is that the front sprocket has worn too much to be compatible with the brand new chain (it will work fine with the old, stretched chain though).
It looks as if when you're pedaling, chain suck is pulling the chain upwards, and then instead of lying below the chainstay, its being dragged above.
Unfortunately, you probably have to replace the front sprocket as well.

Do a google on bosch chain suck and see if that's what's happening to yours. I had to replace my front sprocket at around 2500 miles because of this.

PS. forget any fancy way of measuring correct chain length. That's for when you are building up something custom and/or don't have an original chain! Just get the old chain and measure the links. The individual link length is the same on all chain makes.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Thanks GLJoe, I guess when I had the new cassette and chain fitted I should have had a new front sprocket too.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I'm going to say that there is a high probability that what's happening is that the front sprocket has worn too much to be compatible with the brand new chain (it will work fine with the old, stretched chain though).
It looks as if when you're pedaling, chain suck is pulling the chain upwards, and then instead of lying below the chainstay, its being dragged above.
Unfortunately, you probably have to replace the front sprocket as well
This Amazon review of the Bosch Locking Spider tool agrees with you..

....it's a required tool with how quickly bosch powered bikes go through chains (and you need to change the ring when you change chain of you get horrible chainsuck.

Deno

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2018
Dublin
You can flip the front sprocket to extend its life somewhat. Not the same as a new one but better. I do it regularly.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Thanks GLJoe, I guess when I had the new cassette and chain fitted I should have had a new front sprocket too.
Probably. But then one isn't to know for sure until you try it and you find the chain suck happens (although there might be an argument that even if it doesn't, the fact that the chain is worn and needs replacing means the front sprocket is also worn, and thus is probably prematurely wearing the NEW chain !?!).
Its because the Bosch CX type chainring is so small - all the wear is concentrated on only a few teeth.

Interestingly, I've also had chain suck on my wife's bike when I changed the chain - but that one has a Yamaha motor, and the (large) front chainring was fine, it was the smaller cogs on the rear cassette that gave the problem.
Its stuff like this they tend not to tell you in the 'reviews' .... :confused:

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Decided buy a bigger front sprocket and so purchased the necessary tools to change it - crank puller and Chainring lock tool. Took the crank arm and sprocket off my bike, unwrapped the new sprocket, and dropped it. Its a strange feeling watching a brand new front sprocket bounce on the floor and fall down the drain. Got the wife to put her arm don to try and retrieve it, put she couldn't get it.:mad: :D

Another new sprocket ordered!

Bought the tools from Amazon..

Draper crank puller £7.96

IceToolz lockring tool £16.23

Connex 17T sprocket