Chainring issue

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
So I have a sram x5 crankset (2 chainring) hooked up to my alfine 8 on rear. Front hub motor

The biggest chainring is 39 tooth and I need higher gear, so 42 I gues

I'm clueless here. I don't want to spend lots, hoping to buy a mid drive in New year

Chainring says 120 bcd . Can I buy any 4 hole 120 bcd 42 tooth ring ? Any pointers appreciated

A 4 point mount 120 bcd ring should indeed fit, but what are you using to take up the chain length difference with the Alfine at the rear? Just a singulator?
Also, is chain line difference not an issue?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
So I have a sram x5 crankset (2 chainring) hooked up to my alfine 8 on rear. Front hub motor

The biggest chainring is 39 tooth and I need higher gear, so 42 I gues

I'm clueless here. I don't want to spend lots, hoping to buy a mid drive in New year

Chainring says 120 bcd . Can I buy any 4 hole 120 bcd 42 tooth ring ? Any pointers appreciated

If you have a front hub motor is there any point in an Alfine 8 hub?
Anyway, just put on a 16T sprocket on the Alfine, that will give you a similar result.
They`re cheap, around a fiver.

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
Anyway, just put on a 16T sprocket on the Alfine, that will give you a similar result.
Well , firstly- thanks ! I didn't even think that was an option. It's perfect :)

As for the point , well , horses for courses but on my commuting machines I prefer bullet proof, no maintenance, keep it simple approach

So hub motor , hub gears work for me

Also I actually really like the 2wd sense you get from the setup. Especially in throttle only mode as one cann play with the ratio of power between wheels very instantly and finely

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
I'm struggling to find a 16t for alfine , I think it's same as nexus but the internet is unclear on this

Have you actually fit one at all please Tommie ?

I don't think Alfine go down as small as 16T, not sure though?..but the nexus fit fine.
I replaced one (Robin's) the other day, about £9 from Rayments. I invert on his on one for better chain line so you'll have to see which way best suits your chain line. Piece easy you fit.
Got an 18T here if you think it may do?

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
I don't think Alfine go down as small as 16T, not sure though?..but the nexus fit fine.
I read on my Alfine 8 IGH leaflet that Alfine don`t recommend anything smaller than 18T, however the 16T Nexus i got does the job ok.

BTW spanos, what are you using to take up the slack when changing over to that small chainring up front?

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
I replaced one (Robin's) the other day, about £9 from Rayments. I invert on his on one for better chain line so you'll have to see which way best suits your chain line. Piece easy you fit.

Thanks but I've got 18 at the moment !

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
I read on my Alfine 8 IGH leaflet that Alfine don`t recommend anything smaller than 18T, however the 16T Nexus i got does the job ok.

BTW spanos, what are you using to take up the slack when changing over to that small chainring up front?
Ahh , I don't. I just use an alfine tensioner and the largest chainring

The bike is a bit of a frankenbike made of leftovers from other bikes - other than the frame, forks and alfine.

Plan is to go mid drive on this within 6 months. It's doing commuter service in the interim

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The recommended ratio is 1.9:1 you get to do the math :p

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011

Sprocket bought from rayments
Several you tube vids watched

Just need time to do the job now. Shall report back on success (or otherwise)

Looks a wee bit fiddly

Sprocket bought from rayments
Several you tube vids watched

Just need time to do the job now. Shall report back on success (or otherwise)

Looks a wee bit fiddly
Good stuff.
Sure you'll be fine :)

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
Update - sprocket now changed and no spinning out anymore. It's spot on for me

Cost was a tenner plus time , very happy with result and new skills learned

Thanks all

Only complication was the fiddly circlip and the fact my old 18t sprocket had a moulded on plastic chain retainer /guide. Wasn't an issue other than served to confuse when trying to copy various you tube vids

Update - sprocket now changed and no spinning out anymore. It's spot on for me

Cost was a tenner plus time , very happy with result and new skills learned

Thanks all

Only complication was the fiddly circlip and the fact my old 18t sprocket had a moulded on plastic chain retainer /guide. Wasn't an issue other than served to confuse when trying to copy various you tube vids
Good work fella :)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I am now dreaming of a Rohloff with a 13 tooth cog and 32-48 on the front. That gives a range from 17 to 140 gear inches :rolleyes: Not very useful on a commuter but on a touring recumbent trike... :)