Change in e-bike legislation

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Information from A to B magazine, issue 76, February 2010

The Department for Transport has finally agreed to sort out Britain's tangled e-bike legislation, and the proposed changes are currently out to consultation, with responses welcome until 30th March, 2010.

The most important proposed change is harmonisation with the European rule obliging the rider to pedal in order to engage motor power:

Consultation Document

Leesome

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 8, 2010
Throttle is the safest option. Try riding next to a canal, when you enter a bridge crossing, with no rails, and on peddle assist, LOL. How I nearly went in.
I know, I Know I should have a cut-out switch.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Will the government hold themselves responsible for imposing the dangerous pedelec and brake cutouts on us, I feel much safer with a throttle, what's wrong with them?
Brake cut-outs normally go with throttles, EU pedelecs generally don't have them since stopping pedalling performs the cut-out function.

Don't forget you can submit reasons for keeping throttle control and I particularly hope all those with disabilities do submit accordingly since throttles are often important to them.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I pedal all the time, but my weak right knee means a throttle start is the only way to get me going in some situations. This legislation is draconian, ill thought out, stupid and unnecessary and will be disastrous IMO :rolleyes:

fragin bean counters fragin up our lives.......

Grizzly Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2007
Swansea
www.grizzlyfish.com
I have had problems with brake cutouts, when my hands are cold I sometimes brake but not realise that I still have some throttle on, when I release the brake my bike shoots forward. It's not funny when you're waiting to cross a busy road!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Our problem in getting the "no-throttles" rule changed is that Europe has lived with it without protest for most of a decade. With their pedelecers vastly outnumbering our e-bikers, it's difficult to show there's a problem.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
there's still the argument IMO that Britain's road infrastructure clearly lags behind that of other EU nations and thus creates situations that make the use of a throttle safer...

I worked in the Civil Service for a few years and there have been many occasions where Britain has adopted part of an EU rule but got derogations for bits which were not appropriate for our nation, and other nations have done the same...

After all we have harmonised electricity safety regulations but have been permitted to retain the fused 13 amp plug and not all have sockets for Europlugs in our houses.

Andy_82

Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2008
Brake cut-outs normally go with throttles, EU pedelecs generally don't have them since stopping pedalling performs the cut-out function.

Don't forget you can submit reasons for keeping throttle control and I particularly hope all those with disabilities do submit accordingly since throttles are often important to them.
yes that is very well said flecc, i didn't think about disabled people but you are right, it looks like for them the throttles are essential

Andy_82

Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2008
Our problem in getting the "no-throttles" rule changed is that Europe has lived with it without protest for most of a decade. With their pedelecers vastly outnumbering our e-bikers, it's difficult to show there's a problem.
they didn't protest Flecc cos they never experienced a throttle and its benefits. Will you desire a Ferrari if you never seen one not even saying about trying it.

BTW the European cultures will not shout as much as Brits do, believe me guys i'm European and i know that mentality. That is something that i value in Brits.

Marky T

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2009
If our EU freinds have lived without throttles for the last decade, then good for them. We have had throttles, why not give them this option instead of taking the option away from us. If it boils down to us having what we've been used to being taken away, then I say, keep the E-bike legislation tangled. I'm alright, thank you very much.;)

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
BTW the European cultures will not shout as much as Brits do, believe me guys i'm European and i know that mentality. That is something that i value in Brits.
which nations? I had always thought it to be the opposite way round and friends who are more into radical/eco-campaign type stuff always claim this. Certainly I had always thought the French in particularly were very quick to protest against authority (but their authorities are just as quick to fight back with force) That said I also have the impression that those in the Teutonic / Benelux and Scandinavian nations are much more prepared to try and reach a negotiated settlement between parties with (usually) a minimum of fuss and disruption.

Last edited:

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Alex, our whole electricity system is dangerous, that's why the biggest change in the 17 regs is the use of RCDs!
I wouldn't say its "dangerous" but the emphasis on the UK system was initially clearly on saving metal (32A ring final circuit) and also preventing fires in appliance flexes (hence fused plug tops) rather than preventing fatal shocks.

So the use of RCD's where appropriate on top of this IMO has given us the best of both worlds. Why can't the same pragmatism be applied to e-bikes?

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
I have had problems with brake cutouts, when my hands are cold I sometimes brake but not realise that I still have some throttle on, when I release the brake my bike shoots forward. It's not funny when you're waiting to cross a busy road!
I was wondering what was the problem with brake cutouts, so is it just that they can cut in again unexpectedly that makes some of them dangerous?

Grizzly Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2007
Swansea
www.grizzlyfish.com
Alex, most fatalities are caused by contact with the live conductor, the shock being through he human body to earth. If we did not have an earthing system you would need to get between the live and neutral conductors. Also 230 volts is far too high, the Americans and others think we're mad using this voltage!

Grizzly Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2007
Swansea
www.grizzlyfish.com
Hi Patrick, the problem is like I said, when it's cold and I've got thick gloves on, you can't always tell if the throttle is fully off, you pull the brake and it cuts the power, if you release the brake the power is suddenly restored and you shoot forward. It may just be me, but when it's cold and raining and the roads are busy, you can't always make a conscious effort to fully release the throttle control.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So, as usual it's going to take a fatality.
Hi Tony by the way, I've not posted in a while, been watching though.
Hi Peter, I had missed you from the forum and wondered how things were with you. Are you using a BionX now, I seem to remember you were possibly importing one?