Change the Bafang BBSxx PAS range... Go on, you might like it

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
My set-up: Bafang BBS02 48v 750w 25A with C965 display (3 button)
C965.jpeg
This thread is aimed at all the BBSxx owners, who feel that the 0-9 PAS levels on their units are a few too many.
It may or may not work on other displays or older controller software.

I've always thought that a few of the intermediate levels settings are not required, and wrongly thought that the number of level settings had to be programmed via a lead and software. Therefore, as I didn't want to tinker with the controller software, I didn't pursue the matter and made do with 9 levels of PAS.

Luckily, I stumbled across a thread on ES, that highlighted the fact that the PAS range could actually be set by the user from the display panel.

Without teaching anyone to suck eggs, this is the procedure:

1) Press +/- buttons together for 1 second to enter basic parameter mode
2) Press +/- buttons for 1 second again to enter the password protected mode
3) Enter the password '0512' by using the +/- keys to change value and power button to enter value
4) Press power button to forward onto the PAS level range setting
5) The current PAS setting will be shown at the bottom of the display
6) Use +/- button to toggle through options, then power button to enter value and return to normal display

The options are:

UBE
0-3
0-5
0-9

Mine was on UBE, which I think is the user cable programmed setting. All others are factory preset.
I may be wrong, so don't quote me :oops:. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Out and about, I find that having only 5 PAS levels instead of 9, actually makes the system more useable.
Originally, when I had 9 levels available, I would regularly use up to level 4, then only need level 9 after that to wring max power out of the unit.
Levels 5-8 would be fairly redundant and provoke unnecessary button pushing.

Now level 5 is equivalent to the old level 9.

I haven't tried the 0-3 setting, but I can imagine the power increments on the more powerful BBSxx's would be a bit too much of a jump.

Last edited:

Advertisers