Charger amperage for LifePO4

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Can anyone advise if it would be safe to use a 24 volt 1.8 amp output Lion charger to charge a 24 volt LifePo4 battery whose dedicated charger is 24 volt 4 amp output? I have more than enough 24 volt 1.8 amp chargers and if the only penalty was a much longer charge time I would prefer to use one of them for the LifePo4.

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
Can anyone advise if it would be safe to use a 24 volt 1.8 amp output Lion charger to charge a 24 volt LifePo4 battery whose dedicated charger is 24 volt 4 amp output? I have more than enough 24 volt 1.8 amp chargers and if the only penalty was a much longer charge time I would prefer to use one of them for the LifePo4.
The lower charge rate shouldn't be a problem and may even benefit the battery. More important check the output voltage of the 1.8amp charger is comparable with that of the Lifepo4 charger.

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Thanks for the advice, Onmebike. My own instincts suggested the lower amperage, but same voltage, would be fine, but I had not thought of the possible advantages for the battery. A longer charging time will be no problem for us as we normally charge overnight.