Charging Powabyke

daveh

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 15, 2013
Hi all, new to this site. I have just brought my wife a second hand powabyke, it is not even a year old. The problem is it didn't come with the instruction manual. What we would like to know is does the mains charger plug into the blue box under the seat with the key switch in it or into the silver round battery? thing on the rear rack. I don't want to plug it into to the wrong socket and cause any damage. Cheers in advance. Dave

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Hi all, new to this site. I have just brought my wife a second hand powabyke, it is not even a year old. The problem is it didn't come with the instruction manual. What we would like to know is does the mains charger plug into the blue box under the seat with the key switch in it or into the silver round battery? thing on the rear rack. I don't want to plug it into to the wrong socket and cause any damage. Cheers in advance. Dave
Hi daveh,

Read this old thread:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/10810-powabyke-owners-manual.html#post129710

overlapping posts see post 2#

daveh

May 15, 2013
Cheers for the manual info but off the top of their head does anyone know about where we plug the charger into?

daveh

May 15, 2013
Hi Mike, I believe it is a x-6 ls, it is not even a year old.

Cheers

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
From a review:

The X-24 comes with a compact, silent charger which is light enough to take with you. It plugs straight into the battery pack, either on or off the bike. On the bike this would be easier were the pack a little further up the frame: it’s a tight squeeze to get the plugs in and out against the downtube. It would also be good if the XLR socket on the battery were the other way up, so that you can see and more easily press the little tab which releases the plugs."

electricbikemag.co.uk::Review: Powabyke X-24 (Summer 2011)

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
A friend of mine has the same bike and yours and he plugs the charger into the battery.
Checked with him Friday night so it's up to date info.

Last edited:

daveh

May 15, 2013
Right after replacing the charger as the old one was faulty, we managed to charge the battery, we put the battery back on the bike turned key on and red lights came on next to the throttle, we thought great all sorted but that is it nothing else happens now, no electric bike still. We pedalled with the throttle open but motor does not kick in, what could be wrong now?

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Right after replacing the charger as the old one was faulty, we managed to charge the battery, we put the battery back on the bike turned key on and red lights came on next to the throttle, we thought great all sorted but that is it nothing else happens now, no electric bike still. We pedalled with the throttle open but motor does not kick in, what could be wrong now?
If you bought the bike as working I would ask the seller to take the bike back and refund your money.

If you got it as not working, for a good price, before you start pulling it apart I would contact Powerbyke for assistance as you say it is under a year old and could be still under warranty. If you tamper with it then you can not expect them to help.

They offer an extended 3 year warranty for £99 on the electrical system - maybe a cheap way to compromise and for you to get them to sort it out if you explain your problem.

Last edited:

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Just a thought, motor operation as quoted in the review mentioned earlier:

"The X-24 has a throttle to control the motor, and it’s activated after a couple of pedal strokes. The key switch on the controller (it’s a captive key by the way, so no putting it on your keyring…) has two ‘on’ settings: in the first the motor cuts out after a moment if you stop pedalling (assuming you keep the throttle twisted). In the second, the throttle keeps working even if you stop pedalling, so you are pulled along without the need to pedal.
Braking doesn’t cut the motor, incidentally. What does is taking your hand off the throttle to indicate right! Once the motor has stopped, in either mode you’ll need a few more pedal strokes to start it up again"

Last edited: