Help! charging problem

mikenewman63

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 19, 2021
Hi all. If I plug my charger into the frame without the battery installed should the display read full or empty please i have a charging problem

Gliggsy

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Don't know about a charging problem but you've definitely got a lack of information problem!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi all. If I plug my charger into the frame without the battery installed should the display read full or empty please i have a charging problem
You solve charging problems with a voltmeter. Measure the voltage on the connector on the charger, then measure it on the battery's charge socket. Those two results should tell you where the problem is and, by deduction, what it is.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One would need a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry long extension lead to go for a ride .

Reactions: pentiumofborg

mikenewman63

Mar 19, 2021
what i mean is my display is showing 1 bar instead of 7 bars when battery fully charged tried another charger, still the same, battery is showing full on multi meter, but bike not working past 5 miles . i was wondering if the charger was plugged into the socket on the bike if it should alter the display because it is reading the same as when the battery is in or out of the frame

Attachments

mikenewman63

Mar 19, 2021
You solve charging problems with a voltmeter. Measure the voltage on the connector on the charger, then measure it on the battery's charge socket. Those two results should tell you where the problem is and, by deduction, what it is.
what i mean is my display is showing 1 bar instead of 7 bars when battery fully charged tried another charger, still the same, battery is showing full on multi meter, but bike not working past 5 miles . i was wondering if the charger was plugged into the socket on the bike if it should alter the display because it is reading the same as when the battery is in or out of the frame

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What voltage did the meter give for the battery at said full charge ?
If the lcd is displaying a low battery one can bet it could be correct.

mikenewman63

Mar 19, 2021
Don't know about a charging problem but you've definitely got a lack of information problem!
sorry
what i mean is my display is showing 1 bar instead of 7 bars when battery fully charged tried another charger, still the same, battery is showing full on multi meter 41.85v , but bike not working past 5 miles . i was wondering if the charger was plugged into the socket on the bike if it should alter the display because it is reading the same as when the battery is in or out of the frame

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Battery voltage is good .
Does the lcd have settings to change voltage reading i.e., 36 or 48v ?

Its appears that the correct voltgae isn't being read/displayed correctly so a setting or faulty controller.
Are you able to identify the V+/V- on the lce connector from the controller and take a voltage reading ?
The cutting out after five miles indicates lvc is being hit so either the battery, controller or a setting as already indicated.

Last edited:

mikenewman63

Mar 19, 2021
Battery voltage is good .
Does the lcd have settings to change voltage reading i.e., 36 or 48v ?

Its appears that the correct voltgae isn't being read/displayed correctly so a setting or faulty controller.
Are you able to identify the V+/V- on the lce connector from the controller and take a voltage reading ?
The cutting out after five miles indicates lvc is being hit so either the battery or controller .
thankyou what is the controller please

mikenewman63

Mar 19, 2021
Thankyou vfr400 dont know how but ive just messed with display buttons and its now all fixed thankyou very much.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
In that case then one suspects lvc was cutting in and the system thought 48v was the supply, once voltage hit 40v or so it simply stopped.

Reactions: pentiumofborg

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thankyou vfr400 dont know how but ive just messed with display buttons and its now all fixed thankyou very much.
I think that's three times I've seen that on this forum. It happened to me once before we had LCDs. I bought a 36v controller that turned out to be a 48v one. Luckily, there was a jumper inside that converted it from one to the other.

D

Deleted member 33385

I think that's three times I've seen that on this forum. It happened to me once before we had LCDs. I bought a 36v controller that turned out to be a 48v one. Luckily, there was a jumper inside that converted it from one to the other.

A freaking jumper INSIDE? The OP was lucky it was just a setting on the LCD!