Cheapest place for a reliable speed pedelec?

technopedler

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2013
Ignoring the somewhat unreliable "one man band" locations where they've built a custom e-bike. What's the cheapest (but reliable) location to buy a speed pedelec from? Ideally a Bosch crank motor system with hydraulic brakes.

Thanks in advance

technopedler

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2013

They're one of the few dealers that will provide a ready derestricted bike with a dongle.

Are you looking to register you bike to make it legal?
Let's just say I wish to use it on my own private land. A normal e-bike tops out at around 15mph which is extremely slow, I don't want to go crazy but being able to get up to 20 to 25mph would be ideal.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Some of the bikes with Chinese electrial systems can be derestricted yourself by entering a code or button sequence. into the LCD. The Oxygen bikes are like that and they'll do over 20 mph when you derestricted them. It seems that they're quite popular as a fast commuter if that's what you want.

If you say what you want the bike for, what type of hills you encounter and how heavy you are, it would be easier to give you MRE specific advice.

technopedler

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2013
There is one big and steep hill that I encounter regularly. I'm 100kg. I used to cycle a lot but I find knees are getting old so need a little boost. With regards to the type of cycle, looking for a hybrid (or that style of bike). Definitely keen on hydraulic brake system with auto adjust for brake pad wear. I'd want to get very puncture resistant tyres (e.g. Marathon Plus) or may even consider solid tyres for ultra reliability.

The link you gave above (e-bikeshop) looks good. They've got some very cheap Bosch mid drive systems for under £1800 which is a lot cheaper than I've seen.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Depending on the range you require, you may want a bike with a 500Wh battery, as higher speeds mean more power being used.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
or may even consider solid tyres for ultra reliability.
That often just means more broken spokes, though there are some that claim not to.

technopedler

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2013

They're one of the few dealers that will provide a ready derestricted bike with a dongle.

Are you looking to register you bike to make it legal?
Thanks for this link, this turned out to be a great location. I decided against the derestricting dongle in the end because I could get it on the cycle to work scheme and I didn't want to get into any issues there. Also, I could also get it installed some point in the future if I changed my mind so no big deal. I got one which has a 500Wh battery and I only used 40% of the battery for my daily usage.

It's really good and I'm loving it :-D

Advertisers