Cheapest SLA 12v packs

Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
Might as well start this thread. I am looking to put 3x12Ah SLA on my Raleigh with powabyke hub.

The best price I found was 26.99 for 12Ah 12v.

Anyone know of a better deal?
Andrew

Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
Tayna seem to do a "budget" brand for 3 batteries total £56.37 inc postage

Pageant

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2007
Hi,

I was looking also at SLAs before deciding on NiMh.

I found a local supplier in Wickford Essex and the receptionist even offered to drop them off at my house for free if I wanted as she passed my location on her way home! - Hows that for service!

I mentioned this on the other forum (endless-sphere) but "Knoxie" (one of their regular members) said steer clear of them saying they were rubbish!

I dont pretend to understand any of the jargon they give on their spec sheets, but here is a link to their site and specifications - They are called "Power sonic" and offer two different 12v 12ahr batts one being a 10 year guarantee!!!? both come in just under £20 incl the vat, a shame if they really are no good as they seem good value and customer service (for my delivery) was excellent.

Perhaps our experts couyld give an opinion?

12 volt batteries from Battery Company UK

Richard

Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
Have you got the link to the topic on endless sphere?
Wow a guarantee!
Andrew

Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
I don`t have a problem with SLA. It just means I have to drag 12kg of battery around.

Pageant

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2007
Ref the link to topic on endless sphere, Dont know how to make the link!

But I have copied and pasted Knoxies reply - see below.
Richard

Hello

Yes nice set-up you have there! shame you didn't contact me I could have sorted you out with something a little quicker! ha ha, well it looks like a Tonx motor you have there, they are geared brushless hub motors but at only 250W they are a little anaemic, however it should be possible to double the power and still keep it reliable.

If you could take some more pictures of the motor and the controller and post them up I will be able to advise you some more. Stay away from the Powersonic batteries they are cheap and wont give you many cycles, go for Yuasa batteries if you are going Lead Acid, they are by far the best in the UK, and if its only a backup pack you could use a 6AH pack which will be much lighter and should be enough to get you home if all else fails.

I get a lot of mail re my high speed video! seems a lot of people have watched that! I was using Lead Acid batteries then but haven't for about a year now as they don't last at the sort of amps I drain from them, I have been using NIMH packs which are a lot lighter and last 3 times as long, I also have Lipo packs as well but don't use them on that bike.

If you are underwhelmed by your bikes performance though there are options, the Puma motor which is a geared brushless hub motor is really powerful and although not strictly road legal would give you the level of performance that you are after, I am currently running trials on them at power levels of 1,500 watts and they are performing great as you would expect however they are in no way road legal, although they can be made so by the simple flick of a switch if you catch my drift!

Post up some pictures in detail of your bike, but as far as the batteries go I would go for 2 x 12V 6AH Yuasa batteries, you could use the 12AH ones but they are heavy, you can get these batteries from Maplin but they tend to keep old stock, RS is a much better bet as they float charge all their lead acid batteries, you wont find B&B batteries in the UK I have tried its almost impossible, Yuasa are the best ones that are available for a reasonable price.

The RS part number is 320-4508 go to rswww.com and search for them they cost 20 pounds each and weigh 2kg each, they are only 5AH but would get you home no problem, a cheap scooter charger from ebay would charge them in series no problem or look here PowerScoots.co.uk 24V Lead Acid Battery Chargers as they do some reasonable 24V chargers, a 1 amp charger would charge the pack in 5 hours the soneil chargers are great but cost a lot more.

The UK law of 250W is so stupid, most people find bikes to be disappointing at 250W you need 400W and up to start to feel anything, esp. in a hub motor, if you are ever in the area drop me a line as you are welcome to try a Puma powered bike, teamhybrid.co.uk hand cycles | Home page [tel: 00 44 (0)1329 830 117] sell the Puma motors and controllers and can do road legal through to off road mud spitting motor, what ever you like!

Good luck

Knoxie

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
To Pageant

To post a link Richard, go into Post Reply, type your message and then highlight the word or words that you want as a link. Then click the blue globe icon above and you'll get a box to paste your link into. Do that, click OK, then submit reply and your link will be up and running.

To add a photo to your post that's already online somewhere, go to your online photo, right click it and choose "Copy Link Location" from the context menu.
Then back here and replying, place the cursor below your message or where appropriate, then click the yellow mountain scene icon above. Paste in your link from the photo, ok it, and submit the reply.

Pageant

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2007
Thanks for that advice on posting Flecc, I will try it next time.

Meanwhile....... I made a bit of a goof in my earlier posting on this thread. The battery did not offer a 10 year guarantee - it was called a Power Guard 10 Year Life SLA battery (whatever tht means!)

My mistake, sorry bout that.

Richard.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
it was called a Power Guard 10 Year Life SLA battery (whatever that means!)

Richard.
Some of these SLAs, particularly from Yuasa, were specifically designed for burglar alarm backup applications and the like, and they were configured for 10 year lives. However, they were also intended to be on constant trickle charge and not for intermittent charge/full discharge duties as on our bikes, Yuasa's other type intended for that. At one time Maplin stocked both types, but I don't know if they are still available and differentiated in that way.

Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
Thanks for the link pageant. I`ll probably go for maplin first;) 14 quid a cell cheaper.
Andrew

Advertisers