Child carrying commuter for steep hills

hutt

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 11, 2019
Hello,

I'm looking for a bike to take my daughter to school and myself to onto work. We live in Bristol at the top of one side of the valley and cycle down it and up the opposite side of the valley. I currently have to walk a section even if it's just me as its too steep.

I don't need a big battery as such, but presume I need a torquey motor - the Brose S a friend has on his Turbo Levo seems good. I'm also pretty big 100kg/6'2 so prefer a larger bike and like the look of the mid tail cargo bikes (Benno e-boost, etc as I can take the wife to the pub too!) but I am aware there is much more choice in conventional bikes which with a good kids seat and pannier would be fine I'm sure.

Ideally I'll spend as little as possible!

Thank you for your thoughts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I would recommend a step through Big Bear LS or a Santana3.
A step through lets you getting on/off more easily when there is a child seat. Also, the Big Bear uses a large BPM motor and cadence sensor with optional plug in throttle for no pedal or easy hill start.
The price is not bad either.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?bigbear-ls

hutt

Jun 11, 2019
Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion but I think I almost certainly require a high torque mid drive?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion but I think I almost certainly require a high torque mid drive?
yes and no.
Mid drives are not as practical for transport as a large geared hub motor like the BPM on the Big Bear. When you are on a hill, you need a lot of torque to get started. If you are in the wrong gear, it's a lot of hassle. The BPM gives more than 50NM at a simple push on the cranks or on the throttle lever whichever gear you are in. In order to get the same torque, you need to be on the lowest gear with a Bosch CX motor (or a 48V TSDZ2) and rotate the cranks about half a rotation.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Hi, I wrote this article if you are looking for ways to expand your pannier rack.

Thanks

hutt

Jun 11, 2019
Hi, I wrote this article if you are looking for ways to expand your pannier rack.

Thanks
Thank you! My idea is to carry humans if at all possible. Even the Benno will struggle with an adult but the e-veloe looks promising, although it only has the 60nm Steps e6100