Chinese imports

Shazz

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 9, 2019
Morning folks, my saga continues. Has anyone been brave enough to purchase an evoke moped from China? If yes, how did you sort import duty etc? Their bikes are a lot cheaper and smaller than those in this country but I’m very wary of the import tax duty it may occur. Can anyone recommend a uk supplier of Chinese ebike mopeds please? Thank you

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Evoke UK are based in London and have a Dealer Map , but these are Electric Motorcycles with 25 bhp . Could this be the same Company ?

Shazz

Jan 9, 2019
Evoke UK are based in London and have a Dealer Map , but these are Electric Motorcycles with 25 bhp . Could this be the same Company ?
No I’ve been looking at gearbest.com. I’m only looking for up to 15mph. I thought ebikes let you free ride if your tired but I think I’m mistaken. Gutted! Thought I would be able to go out with my partner who has mountain bike on short rides around local reserve. I can’t cycle non stop due to ill health.

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
I can’t cycle non stop due to ill health.
Many on this forum have gone electric for just that reason!

A bike with a cadence sensor (it simply senses that the pedals are being turned) will motor along without any significant force on the pedals.
Most conversion kits will also provide a throttle - you still need to turn the pedals occasionally (once every minute or two) to keep the throttle "alive", but it leaves you with next to no work to do.

It seems that few if any off-the-shelf bikes from the big sellers (Halfords etc.) have throttles because of some problem with the laws about ebikes, but most of the smaller suppliers can fit one as an "accessory".

• Agree
Reactions: tommie

Shazz

Jan 9, 2019
Thank you Laserman. Do you know if there any models around £350-450 for sale? That’s another problem I don’t have much money to spend. The Chinese companies are way cheaper if I knew how to sort import duty/tax etc.

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
I think you need to find a bit more dosh if you are to get anything worthwhile.
That budget would just about cover a basic conversion kit from ebay and you'd still need a reasonable bike to convert.
Worth looking at Gumtree to see if there is a secondhand one in your price range.

Reactions: tommie and Shazz

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You can't get around duty from China for large bulky items, esp when a lithium batteyr is involved.
A good kit is 500 - 600 then about 75 for fitting if unable to do so.

Reactions: Shazz

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Shazz here are a few suggestions . Amazon do the ANCHEER Electric Mountain Bike for £657 . I have seen one and was impressed with the design and quality and the Owner was very happy .I think his came straight from China . Pro Rider do the Step Through Connect at £599 a saving of £200 on the usual price . I have the Pro Rider Flare with a Mid drive Dapu Motor and can vouch for their Warranty . I had done about 200 miles from new and a fault developed when charging the battery , it was sparking when plugging the charger plug into the battery . I asked for a new battery but they would insist on changing the whole bike .
Google Ancheer and Pro Rider to see the details .

Reactions: Shazz

Shazz

Jan 9, 2019
Shazz here are a few suggestions . Amazon do the ANCHEER Electric Mountain Bike for £657 . I have seen one and was impressed with the design and quality and the Owner was very happy .I think his came straight from China . Pro Rider do the Step Through Connect at £599 a saving of £200 on the usual price . I have the Pro Rider Flare with a Mid drive Dapu Motor and can vouch for their Warranty . I had done about 200 miles from new and a fault developed when charging the battery , it was sparking when plugging the charger plug into the battery . I asked for a new battery but they would insist on changing the whole bike .
Google Ancheer and Pro Rider to see the details .
Thank you, much appreciated x

Shazz

Jan 9, 2019
You can't get around duty from China for large bulky items, esp when a lithium batteyr is involved.
A good kit is 500 - 600 then about 75 for fitting if unable to do so.
Big thanks x

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
How about a folding e-bike?
They can be had new for your budget, my first ebike was a folder, and if as you say it`s only for short rides it would be perfect. Also it has a throttle, so if you get tired you can just stop pedaling and enjoy the scenery!

Shazz

Jan 9, 2019
They can be had new for your budget, my first ebike was a folder, and if as you say it`s only for short rides it would be perfect. Also it has a throttle, so if you get tired you can just stop pedaling and enjoy the scenery!
I would actually prefer a folding bike, thanks Tommie, any recommendations?

Shazz

Jan 9, 2019
I also can’t get my leg up very high so suppose a folding bike or step through would be needed.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Argos do a couple of Ebikes at less than £500 . Some Folders have rather high frames to step over and are harder to step over than larger wheeled Step Throughs . The TV Shopping Channel often has Electric Folders at discounts . They have front suspension and the battery on the carrier . On Ebay an Edinburgh Seller has a lot of Folders and City bikes in a range of colours , about £500 or less .

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Further to the above, the TDL 6162 CITY E Bike at £499 looks nice in red . It has front suspension , a decent 36V 10Ah Battery , 6 Speed rather than some with 21 speed which is over the top , 26 x 1.75 tyres and looks to be decently constructed/finished . It mentions a throttle which looks to be a thumb throttle , probably for walk assist . I miss this facility on my ProRider 28in. wheeled Ebike , but have it on my 20 in. Batribike Folder Ebike . All in all that looks excellent value for the money .