Choices, choices

Chilljill

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 21, 2018
Hi guys,

I'm new to world of ebikes so after a bit of advice about which one will suit me best. The problem I'm having is that I live in the Dales and I can't find a LBS with any to try. I did have a go on a friend's Freego and I didn't feel like I was doing much or that I was really in control, so I think I want a bike with a torque sensor as I want to still cycle but just want a bit of assistance.

My plan is to use the bike to get the 3 miles to train station without getting too sweaty. So range anxiety isn't an issue. I have two stations and two routes. The aim is I'll start on first route, gentle hills (rise of 75ft descent of 30ft) but hopefully also be able to do second hilly route rise of 250ft and descent to 280ft before too long.

I have asthma and hills really trigger me so even though a short distance have never made it via hilly route under my own steam. The reason I want to do hilly route is that it'd save me £600 a year train fare (different zone).

Another issue is that I'm only 5ft 2in, inside leg of 28in and like to be able to touch floor from seat and not many websites mention seat height so I'm not sure a lot of the models will suit. Has to be step through.

Ideally I'm looking at cheap end at £1k (so I can get through bike to work scheme) but could stretch to £1.5k.

Any advice us appreciated.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you should hurry up and try a few more bikes as soon as possible.
Low cost bikes (under £1,000) have been hit by EU anti dumping duty since yesterday.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Our new 24” Wisper 705se bikes are now available at £1,149. Hydraulic disc brakes and set up ready to roll. As Woosh says prices are going up so it’ll be £1,249 on August 1st. Our bikes are now built in Kent.

You can fund any of our bikes in full through the Green Commute Scheme or take advantage of our 0% interest credit facility.

https://wisperbikes.com/e-bikes/705-se-step-through/

All the best, David

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi guys,

I'm new to world of ebikes so after a bit of advice about which one will suit me best. The problem I'm having is that I live in the Dales and I can't find a LBS with any to try. I did have a go on a friend's Freego and I didn't feel like I was doing much or that I was really in control, so I think I want a bike with a torque sensor as I want to still cycle but just want a bit of assistance.

My plan is to use the bike to get the 3 miles to train station without getting too sweaty. So range anxiety isn't an issue. I have two stations and two routes. The aim is I'll start on first route, gentle hills (rise of 75ft descent of 30ft) but hopefully also be able to do second hilly route rise of 250ft and descent to 280ft before too long.

I have asthma and hills really trigger me so even though a short distance have never made it via hilly route under my own steam. The reason I want to do hilly route is that it'd save me £600 a year train fare (different zone).

Another issue is that I'm only 5ft 2in, inside leg of 28in and like to be able to touch floor from seat and not many websites mention seat height so I'm not sure a lot of the models will suit. Has to be step through.

Ideally I'm looking at cheap end at £1k (so I can get through bike to work scheme) but could stretch to £1.5k.

Any advice us appreciated.
Hi Jill
Derbyshire or Yorkshire Dales I wonder?
Either would be fine with our bikes but I understand what you mean by feeling out of control. That can be remedied by either a torque sensor or an improved display.
If you can visit us or any of our dealers nearby we can demonstrate the differences.
We work with most Cycle to Work schemes and our prices will not be going up as a consequence of ADD anytime soon, so no pressure!
I'd suggest you take a look at our 24" electric step through Poco, but only a test ride will confirm money well spent or not.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Wisper torque models (rear hub drive) are within your budget 1k - 1.5k. There are two dealers in York go try asap bikes before the price hike.
Other wise you will have to look at mid drive Bosch,Yamaha or Shimano drive all being torque sensor drive, mostly a bit more then your budget.
Halfords is another option Carrera Crosfuse with Bosch drive minus 10% if you join British cycling, stay away from Carrera Suntour options as they are pretty much crap with a few power issues.

Chilljill

Jul 21, 2018
Thanks for the advice. I have a few days off this coming week so I think I'll just have to make a trip over to York so that'll give me a chance to try a few, and to be able to compare a cadence and torque sensor directly. I don't think there is anywhere that will do all makes but York does have a fair few bike shops so I'm sure between them I can give most a go.

I have on my short list the wisper 705 torque and the juicy roller as well as the volt pulse ls and giant entour e+2 but have a feeling I may be too short for all of those.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
our prices will not be going up as a consequence of ADD anytime soon, so no pressure!
Hi Bob,

I am amazed!
Do you assemble already in the UK?

Tony

Reactions: JuicyBike

Chilljill

Jul 21, 2018
So I did a ring around this morning and contacted all the various dealers within a reasonable drive from me and didn't have much luck.

Haven't managed to find anyone "local" with the Wisper 705 Torque in stock although a place in York has the 705 SE in which I suppose would at least let me try it out for height.

The Juicy Roller is in stock in Leeds so might try and get over there tomorrow.

The Volt Pulse LS doesn't appear to be in stock anywhere but managed to drive over to Ripon as they had the Kensington in. It was way too big for me.

Anyone got any other suggestions of makes / models that might be worth looking at?