Chris Froome wins Giro d'Italia

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Chris Froome's win of the Giro d'Italia today makes him only the third man ever to hold all three major cycle racing titles at the same time.

Certainly offsets the current disappointments in football and cricket.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Chris Froome's win of the Giro d'Italia today makes him only the third man ever to hold all three major cycle racing titles at the same time.

Certainly offsets the current disappointments in football and cricket.
Really?

I follow football quite closely, so what`s happened now?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Really?

I follow football quite closely, so what`s happened now?
Liverpool's very disappointing 3 - 1 loss to Madrid in The Champion's League where they have a great record of success. Two terrible goalkeeping errors marred the game, the first one almost unbelievable.

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Froome peaked at the perfect time to topple Yates and the other contenders, he had been there or there about's 2 - 3 mins off the leaders going in to the final week and then bang with 3 days to go blew them all away with a decisive punishing stage victory. A 3 week tour isn't won in the first fortnight but can be lost by setting the pace to soon.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Liverpool's very disappointing 3 - 1 loss to Madrid in The Champion's League where they have a great record of success. Two terrible goalkeeping errors marred the game, the first one almost unbelievable.
And you don't think every MUFC supporter will be giggling inside? Rather naive if you think differently.. It's been an incredible season on Football front. Best games for years. Liverpool and City have entertained entire football world. Premier league goes from strength to strength... Rotherham and Fulham get promotion. No disappointments in football this year. A little bit at Liverpool, Arsenal and MUFC...but not really.
Apart from the cheating swine Ramos who knew exactly what he was doing. He should have been red carded and charged with assault.
As for Karius.. That's what you get for being a goalie...It happens.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A 3 week tour isn't won in the first fortnight but can be lost by setting the pace to soon.
Distance running can be very similar in this respect in this respect, and in letting others take the lead much of the time.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I didn't post about Manchester United, so why this comment?
Because you quoted Liverpool as a reason for disappointment in football in general. Which is utter rubbish. There are probably more football fans pleased Liverpool lost as those disappointed, since MUFC fans almost despise LFC ones and outnumber them 2 to 1 in UK and probably 5 to 1 worldwide its an obvious comparison. SAF, s only regret was not passing LFC record in Europe.

• Agree
Reactions: tommie

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Because you quoted Liverpool as a reason for disappointment in football in general. Which is utter rubbish. There are probably more football fans pleased Liverpool lost as those disappointed, since MUFC fans almost despise LFC ones and outnumber them 2 to 1 in UK and probably 5 to 1 worldwide its an obvious comparison. SAF, s only regret was not passing LFC record in Europe.
Nonsense. You just saw what you thought was an opportunity to make a snide comment.

It was totally inappropriate as a response to a polite answer that I'd given to someones request to clarify my post, which of course was nothing to do with you. Try reading in context, or even better try learning to read.

• Agree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Nonsense. You just saw what you thought was an opportunity to make a snide comment.

It was totally inappropriate as a response to a polite answer that I'd given to someones request to clarify my post, which of course was nothing to do with you. Try reading in context, or even better try learning to read.
You stated as fact football had been a disappointment, only the case if you support Liverpool and even then not probably so. They have had a great season.
You are wrong and have to resort to insult. Too much time on Brexit thread.
And yes, I struggle reading nowadays. Especially garbage.

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: tommie and robdon

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You stated as fact football had been a disappointment, only the case if you support Liverpool and even then not probably so. They have had a great season.
As I said, try reading in context. It was specifically a reply to Tommie when he posted this query:

"I follow football quite closely, so what`s happened now?"

My answer was:

"Liverpool's very disappointing 3 - 1 loss to Madrid in The Champion's League where they have a great record of success. Two terrible goalkeeping errors marred the game, the first one almost unbelievable."

That was an explanation of what I had meant, something personal you could not possibly know better than me and also nothing whatsoever to do with you.

Your response about ManUnited supporters was totally out of context and included an allusion to me being naive in relation to that. There couldn't possibly be anything naive in my post about a subject you later raised that I hadn't mentioned.

You just wanted to be offensive with a snide comment.

• Agree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
As I said, try reading in context. It was specifically a reply to Tommie when he posted this query:

"I follow football quite closely, so what`s happened now?"

My answer was:

"Liverpool's very disappointing 3 - 1 loss to Madrid in The Champion's League where they have a great record of success. Two terrible goalkeeping errors marred the game, the first one almost unbelievable."

That was an explanation of what I had meant, something personal you could not possibly know better than me and also nothing whatsoever to do with you.

Your response about ManUnited supporters was totally out of context and included an allusion to me being naive in relation to that. There couldn't possibly be anything naive in my post about a subject you later raised that I hadn't mentioned.

You just wanted to be offensive with a snide comment.
But your original premise was English Football had been a disappointment. ( As opposed to Chris Froome and his double allowed limit of anti asthma drugs being a welcome change)
Neither football in general or Liverpool specifically have been a disappointment this year.
Both facts you fail to recognise. Froome and the ongoing drugs saga (along with Wiggins and his) is much more of a disappointment.
Let's wait for World Cup before we start talking real disappointment in football. So far it's all been regional, and when it is there is a winner for every looser...hence my MUFC reference. It wasn't a snide comment at all, merely an explanation.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
To be fair to flecc he assumed quite wrongly that Liverpools loss was very disappointing to all and sundry.

To me it was a source of great hilarity, the highlight of my weekend in fact!

It should be said however that i`ve been a Man Utd fan since the year dot :D

Reactions: Zlatan

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
To be fair to flecc he assumed quite wrongly that Liverpools loss was very disappointing to all and sundry.

To me it was a source of great hilarity, the highlight of my weekend in fact!

It should be said however that i`ve been a Man Utd fan since the year dot :D
Me too since 1968...Met George Best at Millmoor. He came and had a kick around with us kids in gym. Thought folk would guess with Zlatan...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But your original premise was English Football had been a disappointment.
No it emphatically was not, I posted these words:

"Certainly offsets the current disappointments in football and cricket."

No mention at all of English football. The current disappointments were Liverpool's lost game and the loss to Pakistan in cricket, both announced the same day.

• Agree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
No it emphatically was not, I posted these words:

No mention at all of English football. The current disappointments were Liverpool's lost game and the loss to Pakistan in cricket, both announced the same day.
Point accepted. The cricket was... Liverpool wasn't.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Same reply as that to Zlatan, I assumed nothing of the sort. Again this is what I posted:

The phrase " the current disappointments" is specific, it does not mean everyone is disappointed, only referring to the disappointments that existed currently in those experiencing them.

• Agree

Advertisers