Chunky tyred commuter advice

vladcjelli

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 19, 2020
Be gentle with me, I realise I’m singing a familiar song round these parts, but I’m struggling a bit looking at the options.

I’m a non cyclist (not since teenage years) overweight, 43 year old chap about to change jobs, looking for a combination commuter/leisure bike to complement the five mile commute and a family which includes a keen mountain biking teenage son. Also based in a hilly part of Derbyshire.

So I’ve been internet window shopping and checked out a good few threads on here. As a result, my requirements seem to be a more comfort oriented riding position, powerful motor to help haul my chunky butt up hills (especially the steep hill I live at the top of) a fairly low step over while get my street confidence back and a certain amount of macho utilitarian style.

I was almost ready to jump two footed into the woosh rambla £1299, seemed great value, good power and comfortable stepthrough design without looking like my grandmas shopping bike. Then I saw they were sold out till May. Not totally discounted, but I would prefer to get it sorted in plenty of time for the new job (starts May) to get used to it.

As I was heading into town today, I popped into local bike shop to have a quick browse on the off chance of spotting something I liked.

Ended up seeing a Kalkhoff endeavour3b move 2019 £1999, a cube reaction hybrid pro 500 2020 £2099 and a scott axis eride 20 2019 £2399. If I’m being honest, my financial controller is balking a bit at the budget creep that’s occurred in the space of 24 hrs.

Took the cube and Scott for a brief test ride, wasn’t expecting to, but the lovely chap in the store insisted. Initially the cube felt more comfortable, but no significant issues with either. Both felt like they had plenty of go.

After trying them, I reckon I had crystallised a couple of things. I really liked the chunky tyres on the Scott rather than the thinner tyres of the kalkhoff. These would give me a better chance of joining my boys on rides for fun. The Scott had more commuter equipment fitted as standard than the MTB style cube.

Basically what I’m looking for, I think, is a chunky wheeled, decent torque mid motor, comfortable bike.

What options should I be looking at? I like the idea of dealing locally, from a support and service point of view. Based in Derbyshire puts me pretty central, so I feel like there should be options, but I can’t help being drawn to the woosh bike as they seem really responsive to issues on here.

You all seem to know plenty about this business, and I reckon I could do with some expert guidance. All opinions gratefully received.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
for a bit of off roading, the Woosh Rio MTB may be worth a look.

If has a nice and responsive 100mm RST Omega fork rather than the typical 63mm hybrid/road fork, 26" x 1.95" MTB tyres, hydraulic brakes, GXP bottom bracket, much better at handling mud, a powerful Bafang SWX02 motor and a 17AH battery.
Pedal assist and throttle.

vladcjelli

Mar 19, 2020
View attachment 34432

Lovely bikes I’m sure, but a bit too heavy on the wallet I’m afraid. Not to mention, perhaps a bit too far towards MTB than commuter.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i can hit over 30 mph on my bike with the speed limit removed range is about 25 miles with a 500w batt 5 years old and no motor problems.

DSC_0189_02.JPG

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
i can hit over 30 mph on my bike with the speed limit removed range is about 25 miles with a 500w batt 5 years old and no motor problems.
you can do that easily with the 100NM Bafang MaxDrive motor that I put in my Rambla but you know it's illegal, right?

vladcjelli

Mar 19, 2020
Haven’t mentioned speed up to now as a necessity. I’m just happy with something to take the sweaty effort away, and let me ride up hills, rather than push it.

So far, suggestions have been a bit mountain bikey, I think I’d like a commuter with a little bit of trail ability.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
im illegal b4 i even get on my bike fkn spliff keeps going out lol :p

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
So far, suggestions have been a bit mountain bikey, I think I’d like a commuter with a little bit of trail ability.
A typical hardtail MTB is usually fine as a commuter, but gives you more flexibility if you DO decide to do more trail.

In fact, the wider tyre clearance can be more comfy, the frame will be a little tougher for longevity, and often the motor will be a higher power model.
My most comfy and practical e-bike for multi uses is my cube reaction hybrid, which I have large volume big apple tyres on in the summer, a rear rack, and embarrassingly, a 45 deg raised handlebar stem replacement, all of which turns a very competent hardtail MTB into a super comfy, practical and tough 'trekking' commuter and touring bike.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Haven’t mentioned speed up to now as a necessity. I’m just happy with something to take the sweaty effort away, and let me ride up hills, rather than push it.

Look at 700c CX style flat bar bike with tyres up to 42mm, which is what I use all the time on touring day out rides for off road. If a hub bike then you need a high torque winding with low rpm.

vladcjelli

Mar 19, 2020
Look at 700c CX style flat bar bike with tyres up to 42mm, which is what I use all the time on touring day out rides for off road. If a hub bike then you need a high torque winding with low rpm.
I haven’t quite worked out all the different tyre sizes yet, but many of the 700c bikes seem to be the narrow hybrid tyres. I’m thinking I’d like something a bit wider and chunkier, not quite the full knobbled MTB jobs, but somewhere in between.
Or am I looking at the wrong bikes?

vladcjelli

Mar 19, 2020
A typical hardtail MTB is usually fine as a commuter, but gives you more flexibility if you DO decide to do more trail.

In fact, the wider tyre clearance can be more comfy, the frame will be a little tougher for longevity, and often the motor will be a higher power model.
My most comfy and practical e-bike for multi uses is my cube reaction hybrid, which I have large volume big apple tyres on in the summer, a rear rack, and embarrassingly, a 45 deg raised handlebar stem replacement, all of which turns a very competent hardtail MTB into a super comfy, practical and tough 'trekking' commuter and touring bike.
I’ve been looking at the cube website, and I think they do a few crossover models. This is probably the route I’ll end up going down, as the shop I visited should be able to order whichever model I’m after.
I suppose the bigger question should now be, is this the right time to be buying with everything that’s going on? Possibly irrelevant, as the new job I’m going to will be a key role so I’ll still have to commute. Just wondered whether some older models will need selling off cheaper with everyone on lockdown. Just heard the local cyclerepublic branch is closing down. Any chance of a bargain there?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

just look for fast rolling mtb tyres

vladcjelli

Mar 19, 2020
Decided to just get on with it, and ended up blowing the budget.

Received my Cube Kathmandu today. Really pleased with it so far, not really ridden it properly, as I’ve had it on charge.

One question/problem, I’ve turned the lights on, but only the front light is coming on. Is there something I’m missing, or do I have to start poking around at wiring?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Decided to just get on with it, and ended up blowing the budget.

Received my Cube Kathmandu today. Really pleased with it so far, not really ridden it properly, as I’ve had it on charge.

One question/problem, I’ve turned the lights on, but only the front light is coming on. Is there something I’m missing, or do I have to start poking around at wiring?
Some German light set ups have an isolation switch for the rear.

It might be a tiny slider which is quite hard to see on the back of the light.

vladcjelli

Mar 19, 2020
Had a little furtle round the back there, turns out they’d pulled the wires a bit tight behind the cross section of the carrier. Took it off, rerouted the wires and Roberts your fathers brother.

Reactions: Woosh