City mudguards retrofitted to Sport?

John Fleet

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2007
Whitley Bay
Anyone tried this? I'm fed up of coming home after a ride out covered in mud from head to toe both fore and aft.

Doug Gosling - remember him! - told me that retrofitting the rear mudguard was really difficult - I think that it would certainly involve removing the rear wheel to gain access to the two allen nuts which appear to hold the truncated rear guard in place. If that's as bad as it gets I think that I could cope with doing the swap...

John

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Hi John,

Have a look at this posting on my "Wisper 905 GTS" thread. You may find this usefull. I had to grind down an allen key to remove the two bolts you speak of.

It's a bit fiddly but saves removing the back wheel. If you need any more help let me know. Here's the link

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
Anyone tried this? I'm fed up of coming home after a ride out covered in mud from head to toe both fore and aft.

Doug Gosling - remember him! - told me that retrofitting the rear mudguard was really difficult - I think that it would certainly involve removing the rear wheel to gain access to the two allen nuts which appear to hold the truncated rear guard in place. If that's as bad as it gets I think that I could cope with doing the swap...

John
Hi John

I have fitted full mudguards on my 905se. It's not that big a deal actually. You don't have to totally remove the rear wheel, just free up a bit of cable (take off the clips and cable tie), loosen the wheel nuts and drop the wheel out out of the dropouts, and you'll easily have enough access to fit the mudguards. Fitting the front guards involves a little inventive wire bending to fit the supports, but again its not that hard and is well worth doing if you ride a lot at this time of year. Incidentally if you want to completely remove the rear wheel just undo the panel under the battery to get access to the controller, pull all the lot out and disconnect the plugs from the rear wheel, you can now remove the wheel. It is a bit of a fiddle, but much seems to be made of it which is unnecessary in my view, as it's really not that hard to do. Getting the controller and all the wires back in is a bit of a hassle, they are a tight fit in the tiny space available!
Incidentally, on the front mudguard try not to use the disc mount points for the mudguard support on the left side. This can make your disc very vulnerable to going out of adjustment all the time. There is a threaded hole on the fork higher up from the disc, with a bit of trimming and bending the support can be placed there without causing problems for your disc brake.

Hope it helps,

Cheers, Phil

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
City mudguards

Hi John

As the guys say it's really no big deal, the worst bit is removing the small peice of mudguard we use to protect the battery casing. Doug just didn't like doing it!

It would take abut an hour.

All the best David

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I did it with SKS mudguards and a standard hex key, I didn't need to remove the wheel or controller. If space is a bit tight then just letting down the tyre or popping it off the rim would probably do it.

Advertisers