Cleaning and detailing

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Well car detailing is the maticulous cleaning and polish/waxing of cars, including machine polishing. Perhaps the exact opposite of using that team of dodgy looking lads cleaning cars at what was once your local petrol station

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Exactly. :) As time has past, I now cringe at most of what I have written about cleaning and detailing of bikes, and now take the approach of what I used to use when cleaning and detailing motorcycles. It could take me nearly a week to clean a motorcycle properly, but thus would involve removing all plastics if fitted, and the complete exhaust system., which could be a complete nightmare on something like an Honda RC30 for example. I never used to have this interested with cars, but earlier in the year discovered a Youtube channel called AMMO NYC, and I became hooked. I now think nothing of removing almost everything from our car including wheels to clean and detail it.

Some of the bike cleaning products shown below I don't use, but was asked to for publicity, and some items aren't even shown, but this gives an idea of how I now treat my bike cleaning and detailing. I'm also steadily becoming asked to clean and detail cycles for other people, prior to selling them. I kind of love it. :)

ed2.jpg

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I now think nothing of removing almost everything from our car including wheels to clean and detail it.
In the early 1970s I did this once with a company car due for return to the leasing car dealer, even the bumpers off.

When the lease company driver turned up with the replacement car and checked the return one over, he came in to me to apologise that the new car wasn't as clean!

Later they thanked the MD for the superb condition of the returned car, saying they'd put it straight into their showroom instead of auctioning, and I got a thank you phone call from the MD, so it paid off.

Reactions: EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0001_02.JPG
:D

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Exactly. :) As time has past, I now cringe at most of what I have written about cleaning and detailing of bikes, and now take the approach of what I used to use when cleaning and detailing motorcycles. It could take me nearly a week to clean a motorcycle properly, but thus would involve removing all plastics if fitted, and the complete exhaust system., which could be a complete nightmare on something like an Honda RC30 for example. I never used to have this interested with cars, but earlier in the year discovered a Youtube channel called AMMO NYC, and I became hooked. I now think nothing of removing almost everything from our car including wheels to clean and detail it.

Some of the bike cleaning products shown below I don't use, but was asked to for publicity, and some items aren't even shown, but this gives an idea of how I now treat my bike cleaning and detailing. I'm also steadily becoming asked to clean and detail cycles for other people, prior to selling them. I kind of love it. :)

View attachment 27617
You worry me more and more! We need to talk... :rolleyes:

• :D

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I can supply some counselling if you want !!! ;)
he needs some decent brake cleaner :)
DSC_0016_02.JPG
if you inhale the fumes its just like petrol just 10x stronger.

victim should be given fresh air and a spliff ;)

jeff St.Clair

Pedelecer
Sep 5, 2018
Crete
Oh thanks for clearing that up .... well I come from the ride it /drive it like I stole it school .. and only wash it when I sell it ... life is far too short IMHO...I do however hoover out the dog hair when I have taken our Pups out for a drive in me truck

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
I will be using the Auto Gym and extra on new bike since I have them for the car. After that a spray of Scottoiler FS365 which I also have for 4 bikes with the old squid and plastic tubing for their chains. I never have a problem with gunged up chains, just wash clean with water. I reckoned if it prolongs motor cycle chains then why not cycle chain?
If I can still buy another squid then I might put another Scottoiler system on the new Giant Pro E+3. The FS365 says to spray over the frame, everywhere in fact except brakes and tyres!

Attachments

Simonwwfc

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2020
What’s muck off products like ?
what wax are you guys using to give the frames a sparkle

Kentlevo

Just Joined
May 16, 2020
I’m a semi pro detailer used to do it full time... when I bought my bike I did a full decontamination of the paint, machine polished it and applied a ciramic coating followed by gtechniq exo as a good hydrophobic layer.... easy to clean now.

Anymorn

Banned
Jul 12, 2020
UK
Good day! Personally I have pressure washer at home, it is SPX 3500 by SunJoe, in my opinion it is really great decision for cleaning, even not only for car! But, of course, you have to be careful with fragile parts and designs because in some situations they can be ruined.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: E-Wheels

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I have pressure washer at home, in my opinion it is really great decision for cleaning, even not only for car!
DSC_0155.JPG

thats what happens if you use a pressure washer you blast all the grease out of the bearings and then there f.u.c.k.e.d.

was nice and clean tho but had to fully rebuild it and replace the pulley wheels rrp £250

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Just a hose on a nice trickle, not pressure washers to expensive for repairs exactly as above.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Old thread but interesting.

After riding home in lashing rain I used paper towel and the Mrs bathroom spray today on bike ( yeah I do also clean bathroom sometimes ). That's not the correct stuff for a bike though.
Wheels are covered in this black grease like stuff from the road I guess?
Hard to get off.
I was thinking I need something cheap I can use in spray bottle to get the worst of the grime off in the week. I get bike in garage and do my best for 5mins then start thinking about eating ect.
Washing up liquid in spray bottle of maybe sugar soap for a quick midweek clean.
Then follow the above advice for a proper clean in daylight at weekend.
What do others do after a grimy ride?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
For the wheels and frame I use concentrated washing machine concoction and water (rids dirt and most of the grease without froth) and a sponge to start with, then loo roll and 90% isopropyl alcohol (cheap on ebay if you buy a litre or several) to remove all remaining grease. Isopropyl lasts ages, because the only time I consider cleaning my bike is when I replace a chain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wayners

Related Articles

Advertisers