Clearing the snow away.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I got told by a canadian a few years ago that's what they do in Canada. A bit of snow doesn't block their highways.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

It's a Russian Police car, so unless the Russians are invading again, it must be Russia. Compare at 1:10. It even has the same red picture thing on the door:

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
One needs a sense of proportion in all these things. Canada, US states and middle Europe can expect to have weeks of snow every year and will get a reasonable return on the investment of buying and maintenance of such kit. If extreme weather events occur in any location ..and by extreme means unlikely , unusual , un predicable then it a bad Investment.
What some of the people might forget is that Irish and British weather is highly variable, and temperate. When we have snow, and ice it can cycle through freezing and thawing a number of times per day.. that would be unheard of in Scandinavia. This makes our roads more dangerous as water on ice with rubber wheels is a perfect lubricant...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I guess it's probably one of those European countries where they invest in their infrastructure so they are able to deal properly with winter conditions.
We do this now on some of our main airport runways, staggered convoys of snow ploughs and de-icers. Heathrow in particular since the savage criticism they got some while ago after snow brought them to a standstill.

Last edited:

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Well spotted D8veh; I hadn't been looking at the vehicles in the multi-lane 'pelaton' including the 'safety car' so hadn't spotted the giveaway. On re-running the clip, I do see a number of eastern bloc-produced vehicles including what appears to be a Lada.

It's a very impressive show nonetheless.

Tom

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
Looks like these are all of their winter maintenance vehicles heading out from the depot and taking advantage of the rolling block for a clear run.

Quite a number of the vehicles have their ploughs lifted and don't appear to be spreading. The brine tankers don't seem to be doing much either.

Echelon ploughing is quite successful and has been used on the motorways in Scotland but it is best used when traffic is held behind the clearing operation as shown in the video.

wheeler

Advertisers