Clicking on Tektro disc brakes on Wisper 705 SE - advice needed!

kevsbike

Just Joined
Jul 3, 2018
Hi, my wife's Wisper 705 SE that we bought in 2018 has developed a strange clicking sound, not unlike when you get something caught in your spokes, except it appears to be coming from the front brake or rotor and only when you're applying the brake.

Both the front & rear brakes are still efficient and appear to have enough on the pads for it not to be them, and the rotor also looks to be running true, but there appears to be a tiny bit of lateral movement from the rotor when the clicking starts, so I am guessing the brakes are a single piston design which might be causing the clicking as the rotor passes the edge of the pads, except it is only happening on the front brake. Does anyone know which model of Tekro disc brake they are, as it isn't mentioned in the manual?

I have checked the "spokes" on the rotor to make sure nothing was catching on them, and I guess it wouldn't break the bank to change the pads to rule them out, but I am at a loss to know what else to do to cure the clicking for my wife's peace of mind.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Assuming cable brakes, when the pads wear the gap between them opens up. You adjust that with the screw on the inside of the caliper. There is often a tiny grub screw in the edge that locks that adjustment, so you have to find it and unlock before you adjust the main screw.

Adjusting the gap also shifts the centre outboard, so you have to re-centre by loosening the two screws that hold the caliper to the adaptor or mounting, hold the brake on and re-tighten the screws.

You should do these adjustments whenever you see the disc move a significant distance sideways when you apply the brake,

Better still, chuck those cable brakes. They're a complete waste of time. Fit some hydraulic brakes and enjoy proper braking that's adjustment-free. You can buy good used hydraulic brakes from as little as £40 a pair.

Reactions: kevsbike

kevsbike

Just Joined
Jul 3, 2018
Thanks, I'd wondered whether to invest in mechanical or hydraulic disc brakes for one of own bikes, but I think you've just made up my mind for me which to go for! I'd noticed that some of them were dual piston but that seems to make more sense, too.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thanks, I'd wondered whether to invest in mechanical or hydraulic disc brakes for one of own bikes, but I think you've just made up my mind for me which to go for! I'd noticed that some of them were dual piston but that seems to make more sense, too.
They're chalk and cheese. Once you've had hydraulic brakes, you'll never want anything else. It's the most significant performance improvement you can make for your bike.

You might need to do something with your brake switches. Since I changed to hydraulic brakes, I've never used switches, but all my controllers have a fast response time. You can buy switches for hydraulic brakes that don't cost too much and are fairly easy to install. Inevitably, you'll have to solder some wires.

Hydraulic brakes are normally bought/sold as a complete unit with the lever, hose and caliper already assembled, so it's a 5 minute job to fit them, but you have to make sure that your hose is roughly the right length. Obviously, it mustn't be too short. If the cable is too long, it's not much work to cut them down, but you'll need a new olive. If you're careful, you don't even need to bleed them afterwards. If you need any advice on these things later, just answer. Everything is simple when you know how.

Reactions: kevsbike

Advertisers