Help! Clothing? Mud guards? - Commute

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
Hi,

Just wondering what sorta clothing people use whilst biking? Especially if their workplace requires them to dress up smartly?

I'm guessing you'd need something fairly rainproof given it's the UK, and you'd probably need a different set of clothes for winter / summer, and you'd want spares regardless

Also, what kind of helmet are people using?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Just wondering what sorta clothing people use whilst biking? Especially if their workplace requires them to dress up smartly?

:p

• :D
Reactions: anonymous

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

thirteen

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
West Sussex
I don't cycle commute any longer.

Back when I was doing a 30 mile round trip every day, I simply left a suit, tie and a pair of shoes at work. I wore cycling kit according to the weather and forecast, had mudguards permanently fitted, and took a clean, pressed, shirt , underwear and socks to work each day, with the shirt folded into a suitably sized waterproof rucksack.

I never showered at work, I kept a couple of clean flannels there and washed when I arrived. Fridays I brought the flannels back to go in the washing machine, and returned them to work on the Monday.

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
I don't cycle commute any longer.

Back when I was doing a 30 mile round trip every day, I simply left a suit, tie and a pair of shoes at work. I wore cycling kit according to the weather and forecast, had mudguards permanently fitted, and took a clean, pressed, shirt , underwear and socks to work each day, with the shirt folded into a suitably sized waterproof rucksack.

I never showered at work, I kept a couple of clean flannels there and washed when I arrived. Fridays I brought the flannels back to go in the washing machine, and returned them to work on the Monday.
That's a good shout. I think a guy may have done similar here tbf

Reactions: thirteen

thirteen

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
West Sussex
That's a good shout. I think a guy may have done similar here tbf
It also helped me lay some ground rules. We had a Director who insisted on increasingly earlier morning meetings once a week.

Petty maybe but I used to make sure that I rode through a few puddles on those days, and turned up for the meetings still in my cycling gear, sweaty, and dripping water tinged with road filth on his carpet and chairs.

It didn't take long before the meetings were changed to a more healthy 8 am slot. Nothing was ever said, but ...

thirteen

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
West Sussex
A further point is that a decent wool (or mostly wool) suit will fold neatly into a lockable desk drawer or small locker.

If done properly it will look neater every day than one that's been worn to drive in.

Note that when I say, "decent," I'm not suggesting that you buy a new one. I never did! Sussex has a vast array of charity shops.

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
I've being doing a 25 mile round trip commute every day this week, using country lanes, mud, leaves, puddles & non stop rain.

My suggestions - Full length mudguards plus add on drip catcher (Probably a proper name for it)
Plastic bags & straps/ties to cover battery/lights/control panel/throttle etc (it looks silly but it stops any problems)
Lightweight rain proof jacket to go over your normal clothes.
Hi-Vis jacket
Lightweight rain proof trousers to go over your normal clothes
Overshoes that Velcro over your normal shoes.
Lights - set run off main battery plus set that flash (only need to be bright enough to be seen not to see with)

To arrive at work not sweating get the biggest battery & run your bike using the highest assistance (or get a spare battery & replace it half way & charge both up at work for the return journey).

Nosweat

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2019
That's why in the olden days we had heavy duty cycling capes. Never figured why they stopped making them but mine is 30 years old and still enables me to cycle through rain in work clothes and not need to change or dry off at the other end.