Cold

davidw

Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2008
High in the Northern Pennines
Cold Weather

Remember the old adage 'There's no such thing as bad weather - only wrong clothing'. There's plenty of suitable cold weather clothing available these days.
Up in the high Pennines today it was cold (yes seriously cold) but cloudless and much more importantly there was NO wind, not even a breeze - now that is something rare indeed up here. So off I went for my usual 15 miles circuit of hilly roads. Tremendous! Mind you if I'm being honest a pair of Helly Hansen long johns would have made it a wee bit cosier on the legs!

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
I have just done six miles to and from the nearest town, and, on balance, I wish I hadn't. It may take some time to restore feeling to my fingers and ears!

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Who wants to ride in this very cold weather?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------depends what you are riding for,many ride as a means of getting to work,my inpending next purchase will be because since i sold my Quando i have put on a fair amount of weight in the last 2 months and really lost fitness and stamena..and that was on a bike where you didnt do much pedalling....so as soon as i get a bike i will ride in any weather as its for medicinal reasons and not for sunday afternoon picnicking..getting to work, ect. horses for course...

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
I've been out and done 4 miles today in the rain just for the fun of it (I was testing my new tyres out). It was rather cold (3C) and a little bit rainy, but I have a big warm jumper and a big warm coat and some big warm gloves.

The only bit of me that seems to get cold is my bum cheeks :)

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Rode 9 miles into work this morning. Temperature at work was 0 deg C and thick fog. Will be setting off home again in about 30 minutes time. Temp currently 1 deg C and thick fog again. On the plus side the wind is ony 3 knotts and it will be a tail wind!

My Aldi winter cycling gear was OK. Kept me warm enough.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
My Aldi winter cycling gear was OK. Kept me warm enough.
Most of my riding clothes came from Lidl or Aldi, Lidl did more winter stuff. It's worked well and worn well so far and well worth the money, the only extra thing I have ordered is a pair of Endura overtrousers for when the temperature is almost zero.
Whens their next round of cycling stuff?

Oh, I've found that making efforts to stay warm is much more productive and comfortable than trying to stay dry.

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
If it's dry - I don't mind riding in the freeing cold, with as others have pointed out, the right clothing attire! Love bringing my winter cycling gloves out for use after they've languished in a drawer all year. Mmmm, toasty, toasty, verry, very toasty!

Burnsey

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2007
Keeping warm

I also cycle in all weathers and the clothing I bought from Aldi/Netto/Lidl have worked a treat. Keeps you warm, dry and happy;)

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
Cold Beer

Hi

I find a couple cans of Carlsberg Special Brew and a wooly hat usually works before i set of to work on my winter shifts, soon warms the cockles.

My sandwiched keep fresh in panniers in this weather so i leave my lunch outside in them to reduce refrigeration costs, and a sneaky beer but don't tell the boss.

That is on special offer in Aldi at the moment £4.55.

thx

Bob

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
Deliberately went out today and put myself through a gruelling 10 mile cycle (nose and eye's never stopped running the whole time) - thing was I only wanted to go 1 mile but took the long way round :D

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Im still doing my 12 miles a day to work and home at 8pm and 7am (the coldest times).
I now wear 4 layers of clothes.
Bought a helmet liner, winter gloves, motorcycle neck and face snood, pulled up across my face and long john's.
I look like a ninja !!!
Im covered in frost at the end of my ride.

But I still keep going in all weathers.
Thats what I promised myself I would do, when I spent so much money on a bike that this.

Went to work tonight.
It was sooooo cold.
Gotta ride home again in the morning.

Bob.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Im still doing my 12 miles a day to work and home at 8pm and 7am (the coldest times).
I now wear 4 layers of clothes.
Bought a helmet liner, winter gloves, motorcycle neck and face snood, pulled up across my face and long john's.
I look like a ninja !!!
Im covered in frost at the end of my ride.

But I still keep going in all weathers.
Thats what I promised myself I would do, when I spent so much money on a bike that this.

Went to work tonight.
It was sooooo cold.
Gotta ride home again in the morning.

Bob.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

will you contimue to ride to work and home no matter how cold it gets Bob ?.. cold,rain,snow,ice.....will any of them have you reverting back to former method ?

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
I hate the cold! My toes and fingers go white at relatively mild temperatures, a bit like Raynaud's Syndrome, and I'm replacing my ski gloves with some mittens as it's getting too painful. My eyes also get very sore, despite wraparound shades so I'll have a look at goggles. So long as the rest of my skin is covered, it's OK, but I wouldn't want to cycle in proper cold weather or for very long.

My other concern is ice, so roll on summer, I say!

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
I dont mind the cold to much if i am wrapped up well gloves and a scarf normally will do my main problem is when there is a chill my eyes water all the time.nigel.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I find 5am is colder than 7, the sun is coming up then and it gets warmer. Why does 7 degrees in the evening feel warmer than 7 degrees in the morning? :confused:

will you contimue to ride to work and home no matter how cold it gets Bob ?.. cold,rain,snow,ice.....will any of them have you reverting back to former method ?
I'll probably give up in the ice, I fell off last week turning right on a busy junction because it was greasy but fortunately there was nothing else going my way. I'm avoiding that turning now until things improve a bit and if it gets bad generally then I might get the train for a couple of weeks.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
How many of you have a car,at this time of year if it is wet or very cold,i take the easy option,i see an accident due to the weather wet roads or ice,could cost far more than a few quid in petrol.

tenderbehind

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2008
Couldn't work up the enthusiasm needed today to go out on the bike, it has been vey cold, and in the afternoon it rained, and I had work to do and some of that was outside anyway.
Hopefully will go out tomorrow, Sunday. Bought a very flourescent coat from Towsure in Southampton a couple of weeks ago, marked up at £17.95, but the till check out price was £9.95 so I got it for that, keeps me very warm, I'm an outdoor person much more than indoor, but I suppose there are limits sometimes.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield

I want to do a full 12months on the bike to work.
I've biked to work everyday since I got the bike mid-june 2008.
Still saving £93 to £100 in petrol a month just going on the bike.
15 months and the bike's payed for it's self already.

I might be doing even more milage if a get the new job im after next month.
30-50 miles a day, though I'll need to buy another charger for the Pro Connect to leave at work.

Last edited:

Intex

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2008
I guess I am really spoiled here, as the weather was about 80 degrees F. yesterday. A big change from the days I lived in West Finchley, London!
So I guess riding here is about the same year round.