Communications fault on Kalkhoff Pro Connect x27

PaulN

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 25, 2019
Can anyone recommend a suitable e.bike repairer in Dorset area that can fix a communications (C) fault on the display on my Kalkhoff Pro Connect x27. I have tried Fifty Cycles who supplied it but taking it all the way to Loughborough is not something I really want to do especially as they now say they are no longer Kalkhoff agents and there are very limited spares so they may not be able to repair it.

Does anyone know how to test a handlebar controller for this bike?

Does anyone know where I might buy a new handlebar controller for this bike as this might possibly be the problem as I have seen condensation in it in the past. I have thoroughly dried it out in an airing cupboard (1 week)?

Can anyone advise where to get a replacement chainguard which would fit as Kalkhoff no longer supply them?

I have to say I have not been in the slightest bit impressed with the service from Kalkhoff. They don't even give a phone number for their main UK supplier/headquarters. Hardly what you would expect from a £2000 bike.

Paul N

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Xion hub motor only appeared in your Kalkhoff model here in Britain so not much is known about it, other than it seems to have quite complex software.

There is a software tuning kit from Germany where there's most knowledge on this motor, but it's a very expensive solution, especially if it doesn't do the job:

Here's the link

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Pro golla in Germany have proved very useful for me. Have bought controller for Panasonic motor from them and will be using them for specific Kalkhoff/Panasonic now 50cycles have all but disowned the bikes. Not surprising given the Impulse motor fiasco.

On my wife's bike I've had trouble with water ingress in the controller (LED one not the later LCD ones) . It dried out, and all I do nowadays is to cover it over with a transparent freezer bag whenever rain threatens. WORKS!!! Hooe your controller dries out or Pro Golla have a replacement.

Also bought direct a walking assist button for a spare bike I bought, which were available in 2008/2010 but hard to find nowadays. The owner (i think) at Pro golla can advise on what's available and you can talk to him on phone, the contact is

https://www.pro-cycling-golla.de/

Might be worth a try. The site is in german so I've had to resort to Google tanslate at times. Hope you have luck getting going again.

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
See also my post in your other thread New Member Dorset.it's got further comments in it.

Last edited:

PaulN

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 25, 2019
The Xion hub motor only appeared in your Kalkhoff model here in Britain so not much is known about it, other than it seems to have quite complex software.

There is a software tuning kit from Germany where there's most knowledge on this motor, but it's a very expensive solution, especially if it doesn't do the job:

Here's the link
I have now had to send my bike back to Germany to the Xion company to see if they can fix it because no one in UK can fix it and not even Kalkhoff in Germany can fix it either. As you can imagine I am not happy with this situation.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have now had to send my bike back to Germany to the Xion company to see if they can fix it because no one in UK can fix it and not even Kalkhoff in Germany can fix it either. As you can imagine I am not happy with this situation.
You certainly have my sympathies Paul. It's one of the annoying things about pedelecs being still early in development that design is not settled and there are many less successful entrants with poor service support.

Being made by bicycle manufacturers and sold by bicycle dealers, neither with adequate technical knowledge, only makes matters worse. I've often thought it might have been so much better if they'd been a motorcycle industry invention, since good technical support would have been so much more likely.

Advertisers