Commute home video

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Hello all,
Thought I'd try my first video attempt. This my commut home from m42 by Solihull down Stratford road into Birmingham city centre.

I'm using my backpack which has a pocket for holding a phone. So I've lodged my iPhone in it. Camera position still needs adjusting but hey it's a first attempt.

I've then uploaded it to photobucket over night using medium compression.

I've done all this from my phone so god knows what it will be like quality wise.

iPhone camera
Photobucket host
Commute home
Used 2.6amp hrs at 44v nominal
10.5mile

[video]http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss30/scottfarnham/8b23480e.mp4[/video]

Only appears to have taken 10 mins so may need to fix that...

Last edited:

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Just found out they only host 10mins of video. Anyone got anywhere else to host full clips at all!

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I've taken another video of the commute to work. Which hopefully will turn out better.
I could also then split the video parts down.

Unfortuantly I got cut up twice and alot of the video is of me getting annoyed. Which i think is quite amusing but probably best I overlay the sound just incase i offend anyone...

I'll upload it tonight.

D

Deleted member 4366

Scotty, you should show a picture of your bike in the video before you set off. I'm sure a lot of people would be interested to see what it is that you're riding.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Youtube my phone doesn't seem to upload to them correctly. So what I'll do is actually split the files out on the phone which is actually faster than my pc at doing so and then upload.

I got one this morning which is correctly angled. There's a little bit of a bob as I ride due to the side to side movement of me on the pedals.
But its alot more interesting than the one posted above...

This is the bike in question

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
Nice video,do you not feel a bit more intimidated on a trike rather than a bike being so low down ?

Andrew harvey

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2008
Wyre Forest
www.smiths-cycles.com
Simple answer no.
A couple of weeks ago I found myself alongside an old Lotus 7, eye ball to eyeball with the driver, I had to ask if he ever got asked the same question, "Occasionally" he said
"but only when he slowed down enought for someone to catch him."
I know a lot of recumbent riders most aren't quite as low down as I am so they don't get the full effect, but the trikes are so much more stable, I've seen over 60 on the speedo, you can still put one wheel on the yellow line and hold it there.

C

Cyclezee

An excellent video Andrew and great choice of music, well done:cool:
Is that the same ICE trike that you let me have go on at Presteigne?

As for feeling intimidated on recumbents, it's dogs that scare me when I am sitting in my trike and their snarling jaws are the same level as my head:eek:

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
Hello all,
Thought I'd try my first video attempt. This my commut home from m42 by Solihull down Stratford road into Birmingham city centre.

I'm using my backpack which has a pocket for holding a phone. So I've lodged my iPhone in it. Camera position still needs adjusting but hey it's a first attempt.

I've then uploaded it to photobucket over night using medium compression.

I've done all this from my phone so god knows what it will be like quality wise.

iPhone camera
Photobucket host
Commute home
Used 2.6amp hrs at 44v nominal
10.5mile

[video]http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss30/scottfarnham/8b23480e.mp4[/video]

Only appears to have taken 10 mins so may need to fix that...
Like the video, you can see how being on a bike is very good for cutting through the traffic, myself I'm not bold enough to move through the traffic as well as you do!

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
I used to have an ICE trike and drivers always gave me more room than they usually do on a bike. It was a bit like driving a mini, mini. I always felt safe and stable on the trike. Other drivers used to slow down and pull alongside to have a look, that was the only scarey bit about it.

Steve

Andrew harvey

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2008
Wyre Forest
www.smiths-cycles.com
Yes John it was. I've been considering changing it, using a Nano to drive the chain, maybe tucked in behind the seat, but it means raising the seat back up.
The motors an Ananda, (sold as the Q100 on E-bay), with a 12A controller, assistance levels are average, not as much torque as say a Whisper, but at high speeds slighty more than a Nano/Tongzin. but I am using much lower currents than most. It still lets me climb up to 1 in 7 hills, the steepest I have found around here.