Commuting e-bike, most power assist

SharonG

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 1, 2021
Hi All,

I am looking for an electric bike to get me to work. It is about 4 miles each way, mostly flat but with one steep railway bridge.

I have tendonitis in both ankles (my left is currently quite reliable, my right much less so!). There is no imminent prospect of improvement for my right ankle, I am looking at how best to live with it as is. So some days I really can't push at all with at least one foot.

I see that e-bikes that could provide full power have been banned! So you have to peddle a bit. I am worried I could waste a lot of money on a bike I could end up unable to ride for extended periods of time and leave me stuck in the car every day.

Most days I can cycle at least with the left foot, and I feel the power assist would allow me to give my bad foot at least some gentle exercise, which would be beneficial when it can take it. I don't want to give up on cycling altogether.

I don't need a foldable bike, I would rather it looked as close to a normal hybrid as possible given the choice. But I need the most power assist I can get. So any advice on bikes to consider/what specifications are best?

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
I've always been amazed at the amount of assist i get on even steep hills with my Juicy step through bike. It's got a great riding position for me with a bad back, very upright and comfortable. I am 5ft 2in and have had the bike for 5 years. It's been tremendously reliable although i am a fair weather cyclist so it hasn't been used daily. It's not the most expensive or sophisticated bike but i love it.

Reactions: SharonG

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I've always been amazed at the amount of assist i get on even steep hills with my Juicy step through bike. It's got a great riding position for me with a bad back, very upright and comfortable. I am 5ft 2in and have had the bike for 5 years. It's been tremendously reliable although i am a fair weather cyclist so it hasn't been used daily. It's not the most expensive or sophisticated bike but i love it.
Simple physics. The heavier you are, the more power you need to go up hills. Small light people get enough power from any ebike. It only matters when you're big and heavy. A 60kg rider might have 50% more power than they need, a 90kg one might have just the right amount, but a 120kg rider on the same bike would be 25% short of the power they need.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't need a foldable bike, I would rather it looked as close to a normal hybrid as possible given the choice. But I need the most power assist I can get. So any advice on bikes to consider/what specifications are best?
Woosh Santana 3 with the 15 Ah battery, you won't need the larger battery.

You have to pedal initially to start the power but it has a throttle so you can choose when to pedal after that. It has switchable power so you can select level 5 of its powerful motor to get over that railway bridge with little or no input from you, but use lower powers at other times depending on how much you wish to pedal.

Like all pedelecs they are in short supply at the moment:

SharonG

Jul 1, 2021
Wow that does look good value for the spec! This is the only bike I've seen with a throttle, and it's got an aluminium frame. Although it does say only 3 assistance levels, not 5.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

I have possibly looked at too many bikes online now, I am confused - I see the Santana has a 250 W motor, but I think I've seen somewhere it is better to have more than this?

Also, some battery capacities in Amp hours e.g. here 15 Ah, some in Watt hours - seen examples 300 - 417 Wh. I guess you can convert with basic physics: Power (W) = Amps x Volts.
15 Ah x 36 V = 540 Wh?

I am only 50 Kg (just under 5 ft 4), but I have a surprisingly hefty laptap to lug in my pannier. So along with my rubbish ankles, power is paramount!

Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have possibly looked at too many bikes online now, I am confused - I see the Santana has a 250 W motor, but I think I've seen somewhere it is better to have more than this?
Only motors rated 250 watts are allowed in law, but that is only a nominal power, they vary greatly, peaking at up to more than twice that. I chose the Santana 3 for you since it has one of the most powerful motor/controller combinations available, the Bafang SWX02. It will easily cope with your weight and luggage.

Also, some battery capacities in Amp hours e.g. here 15 Ah, some in Watt hours - seen examples 300 - 417 Wh. I guess you can convert with basic physics: Power (W) = Amps x Volts.
15 Ah x 36 V = 540 Wh?
No, the battery doesn't determine the power Sharon, only the current you have available to use. It's the controller with the motor that determines the power.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Although it does say only 3 assistance levels, not 5.
Something to clarify with Woosh, since it says both on the Santana 3 page. Perhaps a typo involved or a change of specification, but either way it has a very powerful maximum setting.

SharonG

Jul 1, 2021
Something to clarify with Woosh, since it says both on the Santana 3 page. Perhaps a typo involved or a change of specification, but either way it has a very powerful maximum setting.
In one place it says 3, in another it says 5 - so one of those must be a typo!

Thanks very much for your recommendation Flecc, I may well follow this up. I've seen WOOSH recommended on another cycling forum as well. I'm not near the Southend unfortunately, but with such low stock everywhere I will probably have to wait and have a delivery whatever I choose, rather than the luxury of trying it in a shop first. And I won't be able to get it serviced with WOOSH either.

Of course you are right about the power, although I've checked looking at a bike that specifies both Ah and Wh for the battery and at least my conversion was correct! It's the little things...

Reactions: flecc

SharonG

Jul 1, 2021

Looking at way the battery is located under the rack, can you only have a bag that sits on top of the rack? Because it doesn't look like there is space for the clips for side panniers between the rack frame and the battery.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Looking at way the battery is located under the rack, can you only have a bag that sits on top of the rack? Because it doesn't look like there is space for the clips for side panniers between the rack frame and the battery.
That I don't know Sharon, so best to check with Woosh. I'd be surprised if it didn't allow for them, I've also been a panniers user and have never known a problem with that.

SharonG

Jul 1, 2021
That I don't know Sharon, so best to check with Woosh. I'd be surprised if it didn't allow for them, I've also been a panniers user and have never known a problem with that.
Thanks, I will save all my other questions for Woosh! I just wondered if that was a known 'thing' with that battery configuration.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ebikes using a throttle with pedal first option is the answer, you don't have to pedal hard or fast. For a dodgy ankle simply lightly rotate the cranks and apply the throttle to give the power you need, any pedalling if needed is ghost pedalling.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Just to go back to my Juicy bike Sharon, it has a central battery which i like. The weight is in the centre of the bike that way and i carry stuff on the rear pannier with no problems. They are located in Derbyshire and i believe they use agents nationally. I am only 55kg so a lightweight like you.
Woosh are popular on here and i know they sell good bikes but if you want to look around Juicy is another good option and they also have a good reputation.

SharonG

Jul 1, 2021
The Santana 3 is not available until November! I expected a delay, but that is longer than I hoped. Is anyone aware of any other e-bikes with throttles that might be worth considering?

Lanclass - thanks for the extra info on the Juicy bikes. Do you know if they do any bikes with throttles?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
there is a nearly new Santana3 second hand:

https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?secondhand

WOOSH SANTANA3
It only has 103 miles on the clock (see photos) and it is in as new condition.
Please call 07523712762.
£1,050 or vno
For full details, follow this link.
36Volts 17AH Lithium battery
Dual control: pedal assist and thumb throttle

Woosh Santana3 with 17AH battery

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Wow that does look good value for the spec! This is the only bike I've seen with a throttle, and it's got an aluminium frame. Although it does say only 3 assistance levels, not 5.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

15 Ah x 36 V = 540 Wh?

I am only 50 Kg (just under 5 ft 4), but I have a surprisingly hefty laptap to lug in my pannier. So along with my rubbish ankles, power is paramount!
The 250w is just a label. It has no relation to actual power. The SWX02 motor in the Santana 3 can handle 1000w, but how much power you get depends on the current allowed by the controller.
The Santana 3 is not available until November! I expected a delay, but that is longer than I hoped. Is anyone aware of any other e-bikes with throttles that might be worth considering?

Lanclass - thanks for the extra info on the Juicy bikes. Do you know if they do any bikes with throttles?
Speak to Juicy directly.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The cheap double bag panniers go over the top of the rack so they are easy to fit.
The more expensive side panniers have a click fit system with clips.
The gap between the battery and the frame is about 9mm.
most of the clips are made of plastic.
You only have to shave a little bit for the clips to pass between the battery and the rack frame.

SharonG

Jul 1, 2021
The cheap double bag panniers go over the top of the rack so they are easy to fit.
The more expensive side panniers have a click fit system with clips.
The gap between the battery and the frame is about 9mm.
most of the clips are made of plastic.
You only have to shave a little bit for the clips to pass between the battery and the rack frame.

Thanks Woosh. Unfortunately I can't collect from Northumberland for the second hand one :(.

I take it the new ones are still not available until November? Your automated phone message was out of date (predicting some bikes to be available by mid-June)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I take it the new ones are still not available until November? Your automated phone message was out of date (predicting some bikes to be available by mid-June)
yes, I am very sorry for that. We have a lot of problems with supplies this year.
Take a look at kudos bikes, Their Safari is very good value:
https://kudoscycles.com

SharonG

Jul 1, 2021
yes, I am very sorry for that. We have a lot of problems with supplies this year.
Take a look at kudos bikes, Their Safari is very good value:
https://kudoscycles.com
Thanks for the recommendation. I appreciate there is a general shortage of bikes and parts, I was just hoping for a wait of more like 6-8 weeks than 16! But this may still not rule you out, the throttle thing seems to be the biggest issue.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Mine has a throttle and I'm pretty sure the new ones at Juicy do as well. Useful for starting off at lights or on a hill i find but you would find you use a lot of battery when you apply it. However for a short ride to work, especially if you can recharge there, you will certainly find it useful with your bad ankle.