Commuting with a badass dongle..??

Jonnie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 20, 2019
Hi, as others have mentioned now 2 months in, finding the cut off at around 16 to 16.5 mph very frustrating when needing that extra push around a parked car, cruising on a long straight, to turn at a junction etc etc... I get one or two bars still kicking in at this speed above the official 15.5 mph.

Main concern with using the bad ass box is the drain on the battery. I don’t want to be having to charge the battery every day after my commute? I cycle 17 miles round trip, half flat, hence the frustration, across the moors and half ascending up an undulating coastal road. Currently use approx 65-70% for 2 trips, permanently in High mode. I am thinking I could drop the power mode used with the badass box during the trip and may be end up with the same battery consumption?

I’m aware the badass won’t affect how the motor performs, but with the extra speed now an option perhaps I will be ok in a lower power mode?

Secondly, reckon might need to change the gearing, even though this bike is unusually 20 speed. Although probably will wait until I’m using the badass before changing anything. Any suggestions here would be very welcome

BTW been looking for a great forum in the UK!

Jonnie

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you can use eco or tour mode you should get around the same range but in turbo mode i can get about 25 miles from a 500w batt.

Jonnie

Oct 20, 2019
Thanks Soundwave, sounds like my guess work ain’t too far off. No issues with fitting it on these frames, is there enough room? Some issues posted with spokes touching? Can you confirm if the speed is half or thirds with the Yamaha after 10 mph?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the new ones are much smaller so should not be a problem but they do also sell adaptors.

the speed will be half over 10mph and will also screw up the mileage .

Jonnie

Oct 20, 2019
Ok, sounds great. Thanks for the quick reply. Not too bothered about mileage, going from a-b still. Time is key on the commute for me. Hopefully save 5 mins each way...

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
My badass dongle seriously affected range. I stopped using it for that very reason. I like to use highest mode all time but hover around 15/16mph.Drop below and motor kicks in, kerp it above and you are doing work.. Like this I can get 32 miles off road. (paths around Lady Bower, Derbyshire) Put dongle on, went for it, went like mad for 18 miles, then... Nothing.
I can flatten battery in under 20 miles on dongle... Gave up on it.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
There was some discussion in this thread from a while ago.

A regular commute allows you to learn all your gradients too and from work very well.

This in turn allows you to learn what assist level to use to get the best combination of speed and battery consumption.

There are of course many many variables but I usually can average 20mph for a 10 mile journey carrying full panniers and using 40% of a 400Wh battery or 16Wh a mile.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/haibike-sduro-hardseven-battery-consumption.29899/page-2#post-413434

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Before ordering, make sure that you have the sensor on the chainstay and the magnet on the wheel. some models have the speed sensor on the hub now, in which case Badass isn't going to fit .

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
As you mentioned Yamaha you can stick a magnet on the crank and move the sensor to the outside of the chainstay and dongle it free to see if it gives you what you want. Speedo won't work though.

Reactions: Jonnie

Jonnie

Oct 20, 2019
My badass dongle seriously affected range. I stopped using it for that very reason. I like to use highest mode all time but hover around 15/16mph.Drop below and motor kicks in, kerp it above and you are doing work.. Like this I can get 32 miles off road. (paths around Lady Bower, Derbyshire) Put dongle on, went for it, went like mad for 18 miles, then... Nothing.
I can flatten battery in under 20 miles on dongle... Gave up on it.
But what was your average speed when you were ‘ beasting ‘it? I guess commuting v a full on ride is difficult to compare...?

Jonnie

Oct 20, 2019
There was some discussion in this thread from a while ago.

A regular commute allows you to learn all your gradients too and from work very well.

This in turn allows you to learn what assist level to use to get the best combination of speed and battery consumption.

There are of course many many variables but I usually can average 20mph for a 10 mile journey carrying full panniers and using 40% of a 400Wh battery or 16Wh a mile.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/haibike-sduro-hardseven-battery-consumption.29899/page-2#post-413434
Thanks for this information, great to compare as I have panniers as well. To confirm then one return commute over 20 miles at 20 mph average speed uses 80% of the battery? What bike do you have btw? Thanks for the link to the post will review..

Jonnie

Oct 20, 2019
Before ordering, make sure that you have the sensor on the chainstay and the magnet on the wheel. some models have the speed sensor on the hub now, in which case Badass isn't going to fit .
Yep, been looking at YouTube videos, have the sensor in the right spot, thanks for checking,

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0448.JPG

i think that used 2 bars of my 500w batt in turbo

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
2 out of 5 but was 2016 so was my old 400w batt, for max speed you have to spin the cranks at 120rpm so i can do bursts over 30mph so would prob avg 26mph if i tried the hole way.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
My bike is a 2015 Haibike Yamaha hardtail mountain bike which has had a rear rack and mudguards fitted. I bought it to travel mostly cross country to work 12 to 14 miles depending on what route I take and then back home 10 miles on the road.

Going to work cross country I am not trying to go fast, just enjoying the beautiful countryside that I travel through and some great tracks to get some exercise using the lowest assist and off.

It is on the way home on the road that I want to travel faster and where I average 20mph in half an hour + or - the odd minute for the 10 mile journey. And it is on the ride home that I have learnt what assist levels to use combined with my own effort to travel quickly but also efficiently without caning the battery much.

I put in plenty of effort myself on the way home and use lowest assist, middle assist and no assist.

My original battery is over four and a half years old and still working almost like it did when new and the bike has now covered 11,374 miles.

I have changed the gearing with a 42 tooth narrow wide chain ring and a 12/36 rear cassette.

I am sure that it would be possible to push the average speed higher by using the highest assist level all the time and higher gearing still but as soundwave has shown with his bursts of 30mph it is a game of diminishing returns and a very hard worked battery that will need replacing much sooner.

Jonnie

Oct 20, 2019
My bike is a 2015 Haibike Yamaha hardtail mountain bike which has had a rear rack and mudguards fitted. I bought it to travel mostly cross country to work 12 to 14 miles depending on what route I take and then back home 10 miles on the road.

Going to work cross country I am not trying to go fast, just enjoying the beautiful countryside that I travel through and some great tracks to get some exercise using the lowest assist and off.

It is on the way home on the road that I want to travel faster and where I average 20mph in half an hour + or - the odd minute for the 10 mile journey. And it is on the ride home that I have learnt what assist levels to use combined with my own effort to travel quickly but also efficiently without caning the battery much.

I put in plenty of effort myself on the way home and use lowest assist, middle assist and no assist.

My original battery is over four and a half years old and still working almost like it did when new and the bike has now covered 11,374 miles.

I have changed the gearing with a 42 tooth narrow wide chain ring and a 12/36 rear cassette.

I am sure that it would be possible to push the average speed higher by using the highest assist level all the time and higher gearing still but as soundwave has shown with his bursts of 30mph it is a game of diminishing returns and a very hard worked battery that will need replacing much sooner.
Thanks for the comprehensive feedback. I’ve ordered one today, so watch this space...

Jonnie

Oct 20, 2019
So...been having some fun with my new unleashed bike.,, what a difference, my 6am morning commute down from 32 mins to 26 mins..just doubling the speed so far, don’t really want to add another computer to the bike at the moment anyway..but average speed is approx 20 mph.

Questions..

My return trip currently mainly in high or standard mode is leaving around 30% of battery left. I had 30% after 2 trips before. Should I even bother trying to get 2 trips out of the battery, by constantly changing the modes throughout the ride?? If I do I will probably be down to the wire on the battery by the end of the second commute. As I understand it draining the battery down is not best practice, regular smaller tops are best just like you iPhone? So shall I just top up after every ride. Even perhaps trying to adjust the modes a little just to preserve the battery for the long term, and as advised above find that sweet spot between all the variables..

Will cycling at a constant 20 -25 mph damage / overheat the motor at all, or is just the battery that will over time degrade more quickly. Or is this speed not faster enough to affect the battery?

Finally, as the colder temps approach, ...should I take the battery into work with me or leave it in the bike in the exposed, but covered, bike shed? Or is this too being too paranoid! I leave the bike in the conservatory overnight and always take the battery out

Thanks again for any advice

Jonnie

Ps all journeys are off road....

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
My return trip currently mainly in high or standard mode is leaving around 30% of battery left. I had 30% after 2 trips before. Should I even bother trying to get 2 trips out of the battery, by constantly changing the modes throughout the ride?? If I do I will probably be down to the wire on the battery by the end of the second commute. As I understand it draining the battery down is not best practice, regular smaller tops are best just like you iPhone? So shall I just top up after every ride. Even perhaps trying to adjust the modes a little just to preserve the battery for the long term, and as advised above find that sweet spot between all the variables..
i would keep the batt topped up as much as possible.

Will cycling at a constant 20 -25 mph damage / overheat the motor at all, or is just the battery that will over time degrade more quickly. Or is this speed not faster enough to affect the battery?
no as long as no water gets inside my motor after 5 years with a dongle looks good as new inside.
Finally, as the colder temps approach, ...should I take the battery into work with me or leave it in the bike in the exposed, but covered, bike shed? Or is this too being too paranoid! I leave the bike in the conservatory overnight and always take the battery out
i would keep it inside as range can drop in the cold.