Complete eBike kit just 3.6kg weight and price £225? Surely not...

Swytch Bike

Trade Member
Sep 10, 2014
If you've been waiting for electric bikes to finally become affordable, then the wait is almost over

Panda is proud to announce its support for the SWYTCH conversion kit launching soon on INDIEGOGO

The RRP for this ground breaking new ebike conversion kit is $699, and it will be available by pre-order for $375 (About £300!)

However - for those that pre-register the campaign page will be released a day early with an "early-bird" price of $299 (£225) with limited availability

Those interested should register ASAP to be added to the list for pre-pre-order notification

You can sign up here:
www.swytchbike.com

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think it's ok, the handlebar mounted battery/control unit is very much like that on a model which was sold by Sun bicycles a few years ago. It's a simple way of adding the necessary and can avoid the bending cable from frame to forks that conventional builds suffer.

Swytch Bike

Trade Member
Sep 10, 2014
Bit wary of crowdfunded projects, after the Kanoa wireless headphones fiasco :eek:

http://fortune.com/2017/08/27/headphone-startup-kanoa-youtube-review/
Yes there is some bad press out there for crowd-funded projects run by companies that are good at marketing and making nice photos, but not very good at engineering.... they end up having to hire engineers at the last minute, or they don't bother and they fail.

SWYTCH is the opposite, we are a group of engineers who have developed and built a patent pending product that is already ready for production. The purpose of crowd-funding is to offer our customers a better price.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc and Fordulike

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Yes there is some bad press out there for crowd-funded projects run by companies that are good at marketing and making nice photos, but not very good at engineering.... they end up having to hire engineers at the last minute, or they don't bother and they fail.

SWYTCH is the opposite, we are a group of engineers who have developed and built a patent pending product that is already ready for production. The purpose of crowd-funding is to offer our customers a better price.
I wasn't knocking the product, which looks to be very well thought out, just the companies that promise so much but don't deliver.

Hopefully they achieve all the goals set out in the list on the website, and it becomes a raging success.

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
Any bike ? Even fatbike? I have the feeling not. I might be interested if it could be an option

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
Why not mount the battery pack lower?
I know what you mean - it does look (and handle?) a bit strange but, according to their website "...when you reach your destination, you simply take our cleverly designed battery bag with you, so there's no temptation for anyone to 'borrow' your prized possession..", which I suppose might be useful.

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
If you've been waiting for electric bikes to finally become affordable, then the wait is almost over

Panda is proud to announce its support for the SWYTCH conversion kit launching soon on INDIEGOGO

The RRP for this ground breaking new ebike conversion kit is $699, and it will be available by pre-order for $375 (About £300!)

However - for those that pre-register the campaign page will be released a day early with an "early-bird" price of $299 (£225) with limited availability

Those interested should register ASAP to be added to the list for pre-pre-order notification

You can sign up here:
www.swytchbike.com
I know someone who might be interested. The website seems to be wholly focused on dollars though. How would it work for someone from UK registering interest? (postage etc....)

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
A lot of things to like about this kit and Panda eBikes have been around for quite a while, so know their stuff.

Looks simple to fit and is even lighter than the Cytronex kit at a fraction of the price.

Could you tell me the two battery sizes available with the kit?

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
I know what you mean - it does look (and handle?) a bit strange but, according to their website "...when you reach your destination, you simply take our cleverly designed battery bag with you, so there's no temptation for anyone to 'borrow' your prized possession..", which I suppose might be useful.
But it could be mounted lower and still be removable.

Swytch Bike

Trade Member
Sep 10, 2014
A lot of things to like about this kit and Panda eBikes have been around for quite a while, so know their stuff.

Looks simple to fit and is even lighter than the Cytronex kit at a fraction of the price.

Could you tell me the two battery sizes available with the kit?

Thanks for your kind words. We definitely want people to know that it's a serious piece of engineering backed by the 4 years experience Panda eBikes has given us

The "25 mile" battery is 5.2Ah, and "50 mile" is 10.4Ah

Swytch Bike

Trade Member
Sep 10, 2014
I know someone who might be interested. The website seems to be wholly focused on dollars though. How would it work for someone from UK registering interest? (postage etc....)
Because we are using Indiegogo , an American crowd funding platform the price has to be in $

The price includes all shipping and VAT and duty etc. Delivered to your door

When you pay the price will be converted into £GBP

• Informative

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
Thanks for your kind words. We definitely want people to know that it's a serious piece of engineering backed by the 4 years experience Panda eBikes has given us

The "25 mile" battery is 5.2Ah, and "50 mile" is 10.4Ah
Hmmmm, I'm no expert but 50miles on 10.4Ah?!.

• Agree

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
Because we are using Indiegogo , an American crowd funding platform the price has to be in $

The price includes all shipping and VAT and duty etc. Delivered to your door

When you pay the price will be converted into £GBP
OK, thanks - but just remembered, he has a very steep hill to negotiate so he would need rear wheel or crank drive.

Swytch Bike

Trade Member
Sep 10, 2014
Hmmmm, I'm no expert but 50miles on 10.4Ah?!.
Almost all successful marketing campaigns for eBikes and ebike kits are claiming 50 miles for a 10.4Ah battery, we are aligning with those other campaigns. To be fair, I've personally ridden 35 miles on one of our kits at full power (minimal pedalling), and over 65 miles when conserving power. So 50 miles isn't unrealistic

As an example of another well marketed product. Take UrbanX, they have sold over $1m worth of eBike kits and claim 30 miles from a 110Wh battery (less than 5Ah) so on that basis we could legitimately go to the mass market saying it is 60 miles on a 10.4Ah battery

If we had our way we would call for an international standard to bring all ebike marketing inline with consistent claims of range but I think that is a way down the line.