Help! Complete Newbie - Advice needed.

nexus490

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 17, 2019
Hi all,

first off, glad to be here; This looks like a fantastic resource.

A bit about my situation, I'm going to be moving house in a few months and the walk to the station, is a bit on the long side, considering an Ebike to help me out but I have no idea what would be best to meet my requirements.

I'd say just for now price is no object.

So I'm not in the best of shape, bit on the heavy side, but not too bad, I'd be looking for something to help me with quite a hilly commute so it needs a bit of grunt to it.

It'd be doing half hour each way to the station, then what I'm looking for is as compact a fold as possible as it would then be on a busy commuter train into London.

So I was thinking something small enough to go into a bag that I could wheel like a luggage case (any recommendations there would be good too) as I have a 10 minute walk on the other side.

As well as this it needs to have somewhere I can put my bag with all the usual work stuff. (Laptop etc)

Now the above doesn't seem to difficult from what I see, but on top of that I'd like something that can also handle a woodland trail at the weekends.

Bonus points for a removable battery.

Thanks guys!

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Welcome.

It's pretty easy requirements..... Until you get to the fokding/busy commuter bit. You have to be careful. It's a been a few years since I commuted that way but it was pretty much a Brompton or nothing to fold small enough for certain train line rules at peak times.

How many actual miles and is it flattish?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Oh and just noticed you want a trail capable machine too

Tbh that's just too many compromises in one bike

Let's see the actual milage you are going to need commuting wise

But I suspect Im gonna recommend a standard Brompton for commuting and a full sized ebike for weekends and trails

nexus490

Nov 17, 2019
I'll certainty check the train operator's policy.

Its 3 miles and there are only a couple of hills, but they are big ones, not possible for me unaided at my fitness level.

nexus490

Nov 17, 2019
Ok I suspected an all in one solution might not be possible. So let's say forget the weekend stuff. The commute is a must though.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's a nice idea, but I'm reasonably sure that it's not going to work. Go to a couple of electric bike shop and try folding and carrying some folding bikes. If you still think it's worth it after that, try a rest ride to see if it feels right for the rides you plan.

nexus490

Nov 17, 2019
My Train operator says so long as the bike folds in more than one place like a brompton it's allowed during peak time.

Reactions: KirstinS

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Is there nowhere safe at the station to keep a regular non-folder?

nexus490

Nov 17, 2019
Is there nowhere safe at the station to keep a regular non-folder?
There are bike racks at the station but I've been using this station on and off for over 10 years and as it's a popular commuter station the bike racks fill very quickly. It's not something I could rely on.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
There are bike racks at the station but I've been using this station on and off for over 10 years and as it's a popular commuter station the bike racks fill very quickly. It's not something I could rely on.
OK then so you need electric and a Brompton fold

E Brompton then?

nexus490

Nov 17, 2019
Completely understand that logic. But more out of curiosity than anything else is the "Brompton fold" unique to them or do other manufacturers use the same pattern?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Completely understand that logic. But more out of curiosity than anything else is the "Brompton fold" unique to them or do other manufacturers use the same pattern?
no, it's not unique to them but the Brompton is solidly built and arguably the best design with lots of attention to details.
Conversely, it's more difficult to convert because there is very little gap/space in the folded Brompton.

Last edited:

nexus490

Nov 17, 2019
I'd love to know of any others that do. Just as they'd be an option for comparison. In the meantime I'll start looking at a Brompton. Cheers guys!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'd love to know of any others that do.
In the meantime I'll start looking at a Brompton.
I have sold the Gallego for a number of years, but it needs to be brought up to date. I think we'll make a kit for the Brompton instead of trying to re-invent the wheel:

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?gallego

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I'd love to know of any others that do. Just as they'd be an option for comparison. In the meantime I'll start looking at a Brompton. Cheers guys!
Nothing I've ever seen folds quite like a brommie tbh
And as mentioned they are difficult though not impossible to covert.

They also hold their value like few other bikes I'm aware of

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Gocycle GX?