con62..now the fun bit!

hummingbird

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 5, 2014
ok so i now have my controller (just waiting for correct battery, but thought i would look at rest of kit and get it figured out while i wait)

so far i have worked out from diagram
  • LED meter plugs into red, black and white wire from controller
  • PAS plugs into red, black and green wire from controller
  • 2 white wires on controller = speed limiter..if i plug into each other then i get speed limited..do i plug these in?
  • 2 blue wires on controller = cruise..if i plug in to each other i get cruise, if i disconnect i don't get cruise...what do i get with cruise?
  • motor plugs into large blue,yellow,green wire from controller and smaller hall sensor wires yellow,blue, green, red, black on controller
  • battery plugs into red, black wire on controller...what about orange one..do i just leave that one open?

what i now have left but am not sure about are

• my throttle which has battery level led has 2 plugs one with yellow and green wires and one with red, white and black wires. On my controller the throttle plug has three wires, red (5v), black (GND) and green(signal)...what do i plug into this from my throttle plug?
  • i have an hidden wire brake sensor...which has red,blue and yellow wires. the controller "low voltage brake wire" is just 2 wires yellow (signal) and black (GND) what do i plug into this?
  • ive also got a 3 way speed switch http://www.greenbikekit.com/accessories/3-speed-switch.html which has green black and red wires on it....where do i plug this on the controller? is this instead of the throttle?
any advice/help much appreciated

D

Deleted member 4366

What's a LED meter? Is this the panel with the on/off switch and three levels of PAS?

Plug in the white speed limit wires if you want your speed limited to 15 mph.

Don't plug in the cruise wires. It'll scare you to death.

Show us which throttle you have so that we can help with that.

The three speed switch will only work if you have the connector on the controller for it. It controls how much power you get from the throttle. Position 1 is speed limited to 15 mph, posotion 2 is normal operation, and position three gives a slight speed boost if you have the hall sensors connected.

The three wire brake sensors need an extra wire. The black controller wire goes to yellow sensor one, the yellow controller one goes to the sensor blue, and you need to splice an extra wire onto the throttle red to each of the sensor reds.

hummingbird

Feb 5, 2014
HI D8veh, was hoping you would reply so thanks :) the kit is mostly as discussed in this post http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/battery-advice.16767/ but my throttle is from the kit off amazon along with the wheel and hub motor, everything else is from my order from GBK. this is the picture of my throttle

yes it is an LED as you describe, sorry meter wasnt really the right word :p

There are no further wires left, so looks like i wont be able to use the switch. It actually perfectly plugs into the throttle plug on the controller...is this just a coincidence?

ok just to clarify about the hidden wire brake sensor red wire needs to be spliced with a wire from that to the red wire on the red throttle wire from the controller (i only have one brake sensor...did you mean to say "each of the sensors reds?)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Don't put that three-speed switch on the throttle connector. If you switch the power on it can short out the 5v, which can damage the controller.

The brake sensor needs 5v on the red wire. If you look inside the controller, thr red for the PAS and throttle come from the same place. There's probably a spare pad there where you can solder another red wire for the brake sensor, or you can scrape some insulation off the throttle red and solder on another wire to make one into two.

Your photo of the throttle didn't work, but I managed to get it another way. It doesn't show what I wanted (as always). Does it have a red switch on it?
You don't need to connect the yellow and green connector because those functions are already looked after by the LED control panel. If you have the red switch, they are the connections for it and the LEDs on the throttle.

To post a photobucket photo, look at the "links" panel on the right that comes when you're looking at an individual photo. Click in the IMG box, which will flash "copied", then go to your paste in this forum and paste it in.

hummingbird

Feb 5, 2014
ok thanks D8veh, looks like i cant use 3 way switch which is a shame. I understand what you mean now about the sensor. Sorry about picture. the throttle is this one i think http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/High-Quality-Wuxing-Brand-36V-E-bike-Twist-Throttle-with-Battery-Indicator/738588_1197967269.html. There isn't a red switch. So the only wires i need to worry about from the throttle are the red/white/black. From the controller i have red (5v), black (GND) and green(signal), so which wires from the throttle go to which?

D

Deleted member 4366

Red to red, black to black, white to green.

hummingbird

Feb 5, 2014
HI

Have now fitted it all together and it all works fab, had to mess about housing the battery which has caused the delay. Went out on it yesterday and have a few questions.

How do i switch off the PAS? this is the LED one i have

http://www.greenbikekit.com/led-display.html

Is the PAS switched off when i have pressed the (-) button enough so that no lights show on low,med,high section?

when i press the (+) button 4 times all lights show on low,med and high section, what does this mean/cause? also what is the 6kmh button for? when i press it nothing seems to change on the display.

This diagram seems to suggest the LED also controls the throttle? is this the case and if so how? i haven't wired the throttle wires into the LED, so maybe i need to change something.

http://www.greenbikekit.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/89/image/299/

already addicted to the bike and thinking of making some changes :)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
How do i switch off the PAS? this is the LED one i have

http://www.greenbikekit.com/led-display.html

Is the PAS switched off when i have pressed the (-) button enough so that no lights show on low,med,high section?

when i press the (+) button 4 times all lights show on low,med and high section, what does this mean/cause? also what is the 6kmh button for? when i press it nothing seems to change on the display.

This diagram seems to suggest the LED also controls the throttle? is this the case and if so how? i haven't wired the throttle wires into the LED, so maybe i need to change something.

http://www.greenbikekit.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/89/image/299/

already addicted to the bike and thinking of making some changes :)

You are correct, assistance is off when the lights are out on the LED display.
The 6kmh is also called walk mode, it gets your bike up very steep hill when you and the motor are not strong enough to ride up.
BTW, you do mean to connect the throttle to the controller, not the LED unit, right?

hummingbird

Feb 5, 2014
HI

yes i have wired throttle into controller not LED lol. thanks for help, how will i know i have the "walk mode" on, as nothing seems to change on the display. what will i experience...just more speed? At the moment when i pedal in low is seems to give a massive umph! wondering if i have walk mode on without realising it. How does the LED control the throttle, if at all? Any ideas what happens when all the low/med/high lights are lit?

thanks

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
your controller may not support the walk mode if pressing the walk button does not do anything. You have two modes: pedelec assist (PAS) controlled by your pedalling and the PAS level as shown on your LED, the high is for climbing hills, the low is for getting a bit of exercise. The middle level is the normal setting.
The 3 PAS levels also control how fast you are riding on throttle alone. Low corresponds to about 10mph max, high 15mph and medium, well, in between.

hummingbird

Feb 5, 2014
ok thanks this is starting to become clearer. so when al low/med/high are lit does that not mean anything then? So if i choose to turn off the PAS, by pressing the (-) so no lights on low/med/high section are lit, what happens to the speed of the throttle? does it just default to low? reason im asking is because it all seems a bit fast at the moment...in low pedal assist it zooms away really fast, and the with the throttle its hard to "ease in gently". i have a twist throttle at moment and am thinking of getting a thumb one ..would that give me more control over speed do you think?

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
To see if walk mode works, you literally have to walk whilst pushing the bike, usually with your thumb on the appropriate button. It should cause the motor to engage and gently help you push the bike.

D

Deleted member 4366

I'm not sure that all you've been told is correct.
This is how they normally work:

Press and hold 6km button makes the bike go 4 mph without much power - just enough to pull your bike along while you walk with it.

zero LEDs means no PAS
one LED low speed when you pedal
two LEDs medium speed when you pedal
three LEDs maximum speed when you pedal

The throttle is totally independent. It'll give you whatever speed you twist it to. It always overrides the PAS, so even on the max PAS setting, you can slow yourself down by using the throttle.

I'm not sure whether that wiring schematic is correct unless there's 5 pins on the connector. They normally work with 4 pins, but I know Pdarnett is working with one that has the throttle routed through it.

hummingbird

Feb 5, 2014
HI D8veh, thanks, i think you are right about the throttle, as it doesn't connect to the LED outside the controller, like the diagram suggests. The LED for the PAS seems to have 5 selection though. so far i have worked out

no lights = PAS off
light over low=low
light over med=medium
light over high = high
3 lights over all low/med/high =? this is the one im now not sure about, is it even a function?

What are the thumb throttles like for sensitivity? im finding it hard to just the twist throttle, to try and gain speed slowly....it seems a bit sticky..maybe it just cos its a cheep one. Would i get more control over gradual speed with a thumb throttle? Ive been looking at the ones with button on, which i was thinking of wiring into the battery so i have a button up front to kill power...think i would feel safer...the throttle stuck on the other day when i went out which was a bit scarey as i only had brake sensor to cut it off. Would you recommend any?

pdarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2013
Bradford
www.mybigdaydj.co.uk
I've the same led display, 3 lights is like "Super high" mode, gives about an extra 20% over high but just under full throttle.