Continental Contact Plus Reflex Tyres (700c x 28mm)

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I will review how they ride once I have ridden the bike, but I would just like to add a word of caution. These are the most difficult tyres to fit I have ever encountered. I have fitted hundreds of tyres in my time and always coped, albeit with special equipment. These bastards made me swear more than any others and cost me a tyre lever. As well as that - if it weren't bad enough - for the first time ever, I suffered a pinch puncture when fitting the rear one. In the end, I had to give up and get Halfords to do it. They too failed at the first attempt with a pinch puncture, but somehow managed to get it on. I have had Slime gel added, as I do not relish the thought of having t remove the tyre at the roadside in the dark & rain.

On the plus side, they are rated to 50Km/h, which is why I chose them. £22.50 each.

enndee

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2014
Yeah I had similar problems with those tyres. Think I went through three inner tubes replacing two tyres. Very stiff and tight, didnt help that the beading didnt seem to want to fit in the valley of the rim at least when the two edges were trying to get in.
Cant say Im too impressed with them on the road either. Seem like they catch the wind more. Also occasionally feel twitchy, this at low speeds, higher speeds they seem to have more centrifugal force keeping them in line.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I've been using them over a week now. They are much narrower than the previous 35mm Schwalbe City Cruisers and run at 90psi instead of the Schwalbes' 65. That means I can cruise along about a gear higher than previously. Strava has been clunky of late, so I don't know how my times compare, but they have to be quicker.

Towpath use has been fine, although the paths are dry right now. Quite how they'd fare on muddy ones is not something I'm in a hurry to try out.

There are some block-paved stretches on my commute and these tramline on them. I wasn't expecting that and I thought my headset had come loose! Apart from that, they seem to be great for my purposes. Yes, the ride is zingier - my Lion bell dings occasionally as I ride over a largish pothole, more than before - but the front suspension smoothes that out.

Bearing in mind the 50km/h rating, I think these are a good buy, but Slime in the tubes is essential for me, because of that fitting issue.