Continental Contact Security 08 - £14.99

halflife

Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2008
Hi

Just had my 7th puncture in 700 miles and now had enough? The tyre is very difficult to get off the back rim for some reason and to make matters worse I was 5 miles from home and my pump didn't work. Gave up and called in the rescue brigade (girlfriends mum and dad) to come and collect me in car...glad the mountain bike folds:eek:

So did a search for puncture repair resistant tyres on this site and then went to Halfords to have a look at them. Plumped for the Continental Contact Security 08 - 26 x 1.75.
Found them on the site below for £14.99 which is £6 cheaper than Halfords and cheaper than wiggle etc. They also do free shipping; mind you I have not received them yet.

Also brought one of those C02 canister thingies while I was about it to keep in the back pack.

Will let you know what I think of them when they arrive

Halflife

Bicycle Parts : Continental Contact Security 08 - £14.99

C

Cyclezee

They are an excellent alternative to Schwalbe M+ and considerably cheaper, I can vouch for that. Plus, free replacement tyre and tube if you do get a puncture.

J:) hn

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Hi

Just had my 7th puncture in 700 miles and now had enough? The tyre is very difficult to get off the back rim for some reason and to make matters worse I was 5 miles from home and my pump didn't work. Gave up and called in the rescue brigade (girlfriends mum and dad) to come and collect me in car...glad the mountain bike folds.

So did a search for puncture repair resistant tyres on this site and then went to Halfords to have a look at them. Plumped for the Continental Contact Security 08 - 26 x 1.75.
Found them on the site below for £14.99 which is £6 cheaper than Halfords and cheaper than wiggle etc. They also do free shipping; mind you I have not received them yet.

Also brought one of those C02 canister thingies while I was about it to keep in the back pack.

Will let you know what I think of them when they arrive

Halflife

Hi Halfife

Sorry to hear of your problems.

However, thanks for that link and have just ordered some myself :D
I think my tyres on my Wisper are finally wearing out as had two punctures in one week!! Only had one in the previous 9 months! :eek:
The mid line has worn and virtually no tread left but they have served me well.
I bought Marathon Plus some months ago and they have never been fitted as I thought they were a little slick for me but undoubtably good tyres.
If anyone wants to purchase my Marathon's please PM me with an offer :D
Thanks again
Bargain :cool:
Mandy

Last edited:

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Mandy,

If I were you, I would fit the M+'s you already have.The advantages of the Continentals is free replacement of tyre and tube if you get a puncture and cost. M+'s have just as much grip and lower rolling resistance.
See the following reports Continental Contact Security Review - BikeRadar Schwalbe Marathon Plus Review - BikeRadar

J:) hn
Hi Aldby and thanks for your advice
However I am going to wait for the Continentals to arrive before I make my decision.
I am not keen on the slickness of the Marathon Plus's, however I don't doubt they are a good tyre.
I am sure someone has posted in another thread that they have found that the Marathon's are a bit slippy in our current weather climate so I want to see what the treads are like on the Continentals as they look chunkier in the pics I have seen.
If I were to ride on the road alone I may have used the Marathon's but part of my journey is down a long woodland path which is a little pot holey and requires plenty of dodging and diving :D Plus I use shared paths with many drain covers which are a nightmare in the wet! Also I don't really know how to go slow, like another member who owns a Wisper :D
I will let you know when they finally arrive
Regards
Mandy

halflife

Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2008
Bit late sorry but here are some photos of tyres fitted. Not sure about the white walling:cool: but huge difference in the way the bike rides.

Took a while to come though:mad:

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I bought a pair of marathon + a few weeks ago they were £20 each from SJS